Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Raindrops, flowers and cats

shive
9 years ago

We've had lots of rain yesterday and today. Here are some rain bespeckled blooms for your viewing pleasure, along with members of my cat herd.

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE

INCA PRINCE

PERSEUS' SANDALS

STEALTH BOMBER

RUBY LIPSTICK, Columbus, and ROSY RHINO

A garden slice showing Westbourne Good Old Days, Stealth Bomber, and three Symphony of Praise in the background.

SYMPHONY OF PRAISE ffo

SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO ffo

FORSYTH FROSTBOUND

SHELBY showing more of a pink petal color today.

Sammie on the backporch

Zuzu napping in the late morning

WESTBOURNE LITTLE LAMB

ORANGE VOLS with WITCH HAZEL in the background from the hot colors bed

Debra

Comments (15)

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Lots of pretty blooms and cats. Shelby is beautiful, and looks good next to Frostbound. Ruby Lipstick looks really good. I like Zeus napping. There appears to be a third sibling of the two that hand around my flowers. He is more of a tabby. I could have gotten a photo of him(her?) if I hadn't been so surprised. Westbourne's Little Lamb is a pretty one too. I've always been taken with Stealth Bomber. You have a lot of pretties today Debra.
    kay

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Those are some beauties. Flowers and cats.
    Love ALLEGHENY SKYLINE & STEALTH BOMBER.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Love seeing your cats. Your daylilies are looking really nice, my favorites are probably Stealth Bomber & Snake in the grass boo.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Your Stealth Bomber looks good. Julia has reported variations in the bloom form. Symphony of Praise is spotless; is that always the case? Westbourne Good Ole Days has lots of scapes, even though bud count is not so good this year.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

I had to scroll up and down a few times to take in all of it. I like raindrops on daylilies. It shows which ones can hold up. Also the slice pic of your garden is intriguing. You must share more of it.
    Stealth Bomber looks good but Symphony Of Praise is one that caught my eye. I have a couple of seedlings with that cross.

Showstoppers are you adorable felines :-).

Julia

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Yes, what about Symphony of Praise? It sure is a pretty thing in your picture. How do the blooms hold later on?..I really like that Forsyth Frostbound too. May need to further investigate that. If the color holds it would be a lovely soft addition to my border....Now that I can moderately appreciate some UF's I can see why so many like Snake in the Grass Boo. It sure is striking.....And of course, kudos to the kitties. The real pearls of the garden.........Maryl

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

Forsyth Frostbound and Ruby Lipstick are my favorites, all are very beautiful blooms. We were down to one cat and then she had kittens, most of them with extra toes. I like cats to help keep the gophers out of the yard, but not the surprises that they leave in the flower beds and wine barrels.

Gale

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - There is variation in the bloom form on Stealth Bomber. It is pleated for me only 25% of the time. Sometimes it looks more rounded, and other times more like a UF. Personally, I like both looks. Symphony of Praise was always splotchy the first two years I had it. But for the past three years, the blooms have been great. I think it straightened out after I got it in the ground and it settled in. It is a beautiful garden plant, and I can't say enough about it as a parent. I've gotten three very nice seedlings with it as a pod parent.

Debra

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

That photo of Sammie in the bright green foliage is terrific.

I'm thrilled to see the more intense colors on Allegheny Skyline this year. I think we got AS the same year, but mine hasn't shown these bright colors so far. Maybe the raindrops help.

Shelby continues to impress me.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - Symphony of Praise usually has nice blooms to the end of its run. The blooms hold up to the heat and humidity, as well as to the rain. I haven't gotten rebloom on it for several years. I think the shrubs in back of it steal a lot of the moisture. If you want to do some hybridizing, it's a superior parent and sets seed on the hottest days.

Julia - My gardens are overrun with weeds and Bermuda grass this year, so I hesitate to take many group shots. I only have half of one raised bed that is still cleaned out. Between my work schedule and my mom being in and out of the hospital, I haven't had time for weeding this year.

Debra

• deangreen
    9 years ago

oh that first one is the bomb! so bright and pretty, nice! and of course I like that snake in the grass too, very bold! great pics, even the cats I guess..... :P

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

OH WOW; That STEALTH BOMBER is the one I admired so much last year,it IS a beauty and I love that one.haha, you said Columbus in that picture and I hunted and hunted that photo, hunting for the cat, and thought to my self(There aint no cat in this photos) then I finally spotted him,he blends in with the greenery so well,I couldn't find him.and hes very pretty, too.and Sammy looks a lot like my BLACKIE I lost last year. Gosh I miss that cat.She was very special cat to me.
    Loved all your photo's debra, now ready for more :))

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Debra: Sorry to hear about your mom. Do take care of yourself and get some "quiet time" to re-energize.

Julia

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Gorgeous pics! Stealth Bomber is so pretty. I love the first one Allegheny Skyline - so pretty!

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Julia! I will be staying for my mom for awhile when she gets out of rehab. She's been having heart problems for the past year, and doctors still have diagnosed the cause.

Thanks to everyone who looked and commented on my pictures.

Debra

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting