Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Focus on Reds

Nancy Barginear
10 years ago

Hi,

Since red daylilies are my favorite of all favorites, I've prepared an album of registered cultivars and a few of our special seedlings at Photobucket for all you red daylily lovers here on the forum. There were too many pictures to post here without overloading your computer. We're ready for the Fourth of July!

Be sure to click on "View All" button - the "Get Yours" button doesn't seem to work, either that or I don't know what other link to add.

You're invited to add your red ones to this post, too!

Enjoy!

Nancy

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I love red too, so I immediately went to the site to see them. I am not sure any bloom, no matter how fancy, is much prettier than Hearts of Fire. That is a lovely shot of it too. thanks Nancy.

kay

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kay. It used to be more ruffled and velvety before we moved. Maybe it just needs more time or a better environment?

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They all take their own sweet time reaching the best bloom size etc...and it lasts too short a time. I would like to figure out what I need to do when a plant has an exceptional blooming year to keep it from being sub par the next year. It usually seems to happen. If that is the case this year, then Ruby Lipstick won't be much next year.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

I enjoyed seeing your reds. You have a couple of very nice red seedlings in the album. I always love seeing your photos of Abilene Lillian.

Debra

• lynxe
    10 years ago

I just saw SIR FRANCIS DRAKE blooming today, in a zone 6 garden. It is indeed a gorgeous daylily.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I'll jump in here and suggest Siloam Sleigh Ride! :)

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that's a prettiy one, deangreen! Are the Siloam daylilies on the small side? Is that a dormant?

Nancy

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well,I couldn't get in the site to see. :(

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, did you click on the View All button? The "Get Yours" -- I have no idea what that is - I just get a blank page if I click on that one.

Nancy

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Really enjoyed the show, Kay,thanks for doing it this way. My favorite is Invitation To Immorality but I think Kent's Favorite Two would be the right choice for our hot summers. Avedon

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I love reds too! Enjoyed looking at beautiful pictures and liked that you commented too.

• polymerous
    10 years ago

'Hotter than July'. I first saw this on a Regional tour many, many years ago, and the color just screamed to me across the garden. (Sorry that the picture is slightly out of focus. :( )

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotter than July

• ontnative
    10 years ago

Love your red collection. I find that a bright red or two really gives "zip" to a mixed perennial/daylily garden of more subdued colours.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

You sure have a lot of pretty reds I'm leaning towards Wispy Rays has my favorite.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

nancy, yes it is smaller, all my siloam are mostly dormant that I've noticed. :) this one is. yes

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the pic of Hotter than July. What are the latest and greatest reds being sold now? What about Mark Alan Perry? Watermelon Martini? We have summers-from-Hades here in Texas and evil thrips that love red daylilies. The best one I have here that does not fade significantly and is never bothered by thrips is Kent's Favorite Two. It's an oldie but a top-quality daylily here in our zone.

Nancy

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County