Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A groom, a sensation, and Cool Hand Luke

shive
11 years ago

I had three ffo's on new ones this morning.

AUGUST GROOM, a Korth intro, was a bonus plant. The bloom is large, round and ruffled burgundy.

COOL HAND LUKE was not as pretty as Curt Hanson's photo, but there was pinching in the throat.

STRAWBERRY SENSATION, a bonus from Maryott and one of his intros, has a unique color that I like.

HEAVEN'S DECLARING with a triplet bouquet

BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY

ALL ABOUT YOU

AMERICAN DOLL

TEXAS BLUE EYES

ETHEL BUCCOLA

WAY BEYOND THE SUN

Debra

Comments (19)

• deangreen
    11 years ago

that strawberry one is very strawberry, yes nice color. :)

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Cool Hand Luke looks good (and from a terrific movie, to boot).

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms as usual. I really love your AUGUST GROOM. I have it also but not blooming here yet. Yours looks really good!

• mizellie
    11 years ago

August Moon and American Doll are my picks. I really like the color on that Korth intro. I still have a lot to bloom yet.. It rained pretty hard for quite a while so most were damaged. My very dark ones are grey. LOL!! Ellie

• woodswalker88
    11 years ago

If I had flowers this beautiful I'd never be able to go inside! :)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I really like Cool Hand Luke. Texas is really lovely, as always, and the trio of Heaven's Declaring is a beauty.
    kay

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

My favories of these are August Groom, Strawberry Sensation and All About You. I ordered Blue Eyed Butterfly this spring. I also ordered from another grower and received Blue Eyed Butterfly as a bonus plant. Nice surprise! Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics Debra. I'm surprised your BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY is not showing more blue.

Julia

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Love August Groom, All about You & Heaven's Declaring. See, I'm getting better, I narrowed it down to 3. Might be 3 different ones if I go back & look again though.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I'm going for American Doll and Way Beynd the Sun.
    Val

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

OH WOW1!!WOW!!!! I just LOVE that first, AUGUST GROOM, that is a beauty.I like them all, they are all very pretty, but tat first one is a gorgeous bloom,LOVE it.

jean

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

Cool Hand Luke is really nice! Love Heaven's Declaring too...how similar are their pinks "in real life"?

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Way Beyond the Sun looks like a big bloom. I like it's form and sunny color. Texas Blue Eyes is always a favorite and I keep reminding myself I have to get that one someday...it's been on my wishlist for awhile. I also like American Doll's soft coloration and ruffles. August Groom is very striking. Nice photos, as always.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia - Blue-Eyed Butterfly has always been a blue lavender in my garden. Blue Eyed Bandit is the one with a true blue eye.

Anika - Neither Cool Hand Luke or Heaven's Declaring is supposed to be "pink." Since I've only seen Cool Hand Luke bloom one time and it's nowhere close to HD, I'm not sure how similar the colors are in "real life." I do know HD was lighter than usual, probably because it needs more water.

Celeste - Way Beyond the Sun does have a very large bloom. Unfortunately its on short scapes this year. A lot of my evergreens and semievergreens are. It has something to do with the weird weather this year.

Debra

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Your Heavens Declaring trio is just beautiful.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

August Groom is stunning you really lucked out with this bonus plant.
    Linda

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Texas Blue Eyes in the North. Also, does it exceed the registered height of 20 inches?

American Doll always seems to look good in your garden.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

August Groom is my favorite of this group. It is a really nice group and your photos are always gorgeous.
    kay.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - What prompted you to bring this post from last year back? Texas Blue Eyes sometimes has a few scapes that are 22 or 23 inches, but most are 20-21. It's definitely a front of the border plant. American Doll is one of my very best pinks. It multiplies well and usually has 18-20 buds. Sometimes it reblooms.

Debra