Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Two FFOS For Today and Some Surprises

avedon_gw
10 years ago

I had to take the pictures early since I was going to Texarkana. I always like to get as much done in the mornings as I can before the heat really sets in.

Westbourne Butterfly Season--I have wanted this one since I saw the first picture of it posted by Rita a few years ago. This is the FFO and I just love it, but I will bet as time goes by, there will be ever better blooms.

Pink Super Spider--another one I have wanted and got on the LA this spring. Unfortunately, the plant was so small, I didn't expect it to survive, but here it is. It's blooming on a short scape,and my husband had to stake it because the flower is so big, but I know in time, those scapes will get taller.

Westbourne Good Old Days

Definitely not a FFO, but I just thought the flowers looked so pretty.

Now for the surprise--this is a Blue Larkspur, a native Texas wildflower. These just started showing up about a third of a mile from our house growing in a small area where two roads form a triangle. Eventually, they will go into seed, and I hope to collect some and try to grow them here. They are so pretty, what a lovely blue. The genus is Delphinium so I always think of blue in conjunction with delphiniums.

Blue Larkspur

Closeup of the flower:

Now another surprise: At Lowe's I found this plant that I have wanted for some time, and I could hardly believe they had these. This is the Flutterby dwarf butterfly bush called "Blue Heaven". I was hoping they had the other ones, Petite Pink and Petite White, but no luck with that. Still, I was so lucky to get this. I think it will be a very good addition to the garden.

Blue Heaven dwarf butterly bush

Closeup of the flowers--I think this picture makes them look much more lavender.

Comments (13)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

The Blue Larkspur is really pretty and of course I love the color. The flower tresses on that Butterfly Bush look enormous. Great find! I only have more old fashioned butterfly bushes as I haven't gotten new ones in near ten years.

Of course I pick Westbourne Butterfly Season as my favorite! I am glad you like it. I have always thought it was a beauty.

• shive
    10 years ago

I like Westborne Butterfly Season, but W. Good Old Days is my favorite. I just got home from a trip and noticed mine started blooming today.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita, I didn't know butterfly bushes are considered invasion in many states, so hybridizers have been working on that problem. As I understand it, the Flutterby series of butterfly bushes are almost sterile, and I think there are others coming on the market that are considered sterile.

Debra, know you must have been really happy to see your WB Good Old Days blooming. I have found ours to get better and better as the season progresses--love it. Avedon

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I like all your daylilies, but think I like W. Good Old Days best. I like the dwarf butterfly bushes too.
    Val

• nat4b
    10 years ago

W. Good Old Days is my favorite, beautiful.
    I don't think butterfly bushes grow here, looks nice, reminds me of lilacs :)

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat, I don't know the zones for the butterfly bushes, but maybe that's our compensation down here, for lilacs usually don't make it here in the heat. Unfortunately, as pretty as I think the flowers on b.bushes are, they don't have the lilac fragrance, which is one of my favorites. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I did not know that about the newer varieties of Butterfly Bushes being sterile.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I love thet Westbourne Good old days. gorgeous, and I llove your butterfly bushes too, great find. I have a purple one.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Butterfly Season is my pick. I have it in a pot as Rita enabled me on it too.

Love the blue of the blue larkspur (especially) and the butterfly bush. I haven't gotten any of the smaller ones yet, but it's in the future. the butterflies so love them and I have several colors.

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Lovely butterfly bush flowers. I have several bushes here but they won't be in bloom for another month.
    Hope your trip to Texarkana was enjoyable.

Julia

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I like the colors together on that pink spider, and youdefinitely got some great ideas for companions for the dl's the larkspur and butterfly bush look great. that larkspur sure is bright. I love combining native things with my garden, good luck! :)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I can see why you've been wanting Pink Super Spider. I love the color and am a sucker for huge blooms. WB Good Old Days is also looking good.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

WB Butterfly Season sure is a pretty one I have never seen it before I guess it might just go on my list. I like your butterfly bush I've never had to much luck with them I guess I'm to far south.
    Linda