Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

One FFO For Today and Other, Too

avedon_gw
10 years ago

We did have one new one blooming today--Westbourne Hard Times. This is a bonus plant, and how nice of it to bloom three at once. Of course, it will take some time for us to decide how much we like it, or not, as the case may be. Throwing in a few others seen before, but they were looking pretty.

WB Hard Time--FFO single

WB Hard Time Trio FFOs

Thought a picture of the metal flower with the leaves now attached would be fun to send, plus it is "planted" in the So Lovely daylily row.

Metal Flower + So Lovely Row

The zinnia patch is coming along now

Also, the lantana is starting to put on a nice show.

Zip Boom Bah is doing fantastic--the plant must only be a foot tall or less.

Orange Velvet has three lovelies

Butterfly Season--best color yet on these

South side yellow border almost in full bloom

Silk Road Orienpet Lilies

Last One--the luscious Meringue Mirage

Comments (10)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Butterfly Season is interesting. Rita posted a much darker pic in 2011. Is your picture quite close to the reality there? The zinnias are abundant.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

NOw, right ff, I was sure I would Like Westbourne's Hard Times. Then maybe it would be Zip Boom Bah since I love the brights so much. but as soon as I saw Butterfly Season, that was it. I have it but it is new, Love the picture.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

I think I like W. Hard Times just a bit more than Butterfly Season. And butterflies are what you will have with all those zinnias and lantana. Along with the butterfly bushes, those are the top annuals for attracting winged visitors to my garden.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, I love BUTTERFLY SEASON, gorgeous bloom. also love that zinnia patch too and the Lantana. I have a lantana bush planted that's been the same size for several years, it don't grow but blooms pretty, and I have 2 different color Lantanas in pots and they are growing and really blooming, ones in the pot is 4 ft tall while the planted one is barely 18 inches tall.
    WB Hard times is really pretty too, I like that one a lot.

jean

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love Orange Velvet and Zip Boom Bah. Love the metal garden flower and those zinnias.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

The garden whimsy is fun. I don't have many of them, but I sure do like them when July rolls around. No watering, no dead heading, no fertilizing. They just are a bright spot of easy color in the garden.....I have a fondness for Zinnias too and like your cerise purple colors......As for daylilies, hard to pick, but I think I have to go with Zip Boom Bah. Very striking.......Maryl

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Your zinnias are so colorful - just adorable. I like your metal flower. It's a toss-up between Zip Boom Bah and Butterfly Season as to which one I like best.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Meringue Mirage is a beauty, and I really like your metal flower ornament, too.

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, I think Rita's pictures of Butterfly Season are darker and actually I believe ours are, too. It's just the hotter weather and the camera that makes the flowers turn out lighter in color. Also, I think with brand new plants there can be a difference in the way they look now versus how they look as they get older.
    For everyone that likes the zinnias, we plant them every year from the seeds we save. For some reason, the purple color seems to be dominant. We used to have lots of different colors but not so much now.
    Debra, for some reason, we don't have very many pollinators in our garden so far, and it's possible our vegetable garden is suffering because of this. We don't know if the strange cold weather in April killed off the bees, butterflies, bumblebees, moths, etc. but we see only a few now and then--it is a mystery. We did just plant that new butterfly bush, and we are hoping that soon we will see butterflies on it. Avedon

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Great photos I especially like your garden art. All of your daylilies are looking smashing but I think Butterfly Season is my absolute favorite.
    Linda

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida