Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

The Queen Earns Her Garden Crown

shive
10 years ago

When I first got QUEEN OF NARNIA three years ago, it wasn't really white and didn't have much of an edge. The blooms were not as large as the registered 7.5 inches. Last year it was larger and had an edge, but nothing to get excited about. Today the queen earned her crown. This Petit cultivar has never sported an edge so ornate and regal. Some daylilies take time to strut their stuff.

QUEEN OF NARNIA with angel wings and bubble toes

LAKE TAHOE AUTUMN, a supposed late, is blooming with the earlies and a couple of midseason companions. It looked like a dinner plate this morning, definitely larger than its registered size and much more color than last year.

INIMITABLE was perfect from its first year, but I don't think the bloom has ever been so large - close to 8 inches on its ffo.

HEARTS AND LACE ffo

WINTER TREASURE

KIMBERLY WOLF - a nice bonus I got from Goldcoast

PURPLE EYED DRAGONFLY

Seedling Redefined Design X Blue Eyed Bandit #3

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 19:25

Comments (23)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All three whites are gorgeous!!
    Oh, Late Tahoe Autumn hurried to bloom this year. Was last year her first in your garden?

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Wow, Debra! some big beautiful blooms. My favorite kind.

Queen of Narnia is very impressive, and Winter Treasure is always a beauty. Inimitable is lovely. I love the coral colors with ruffled edges, so Lake Tahoe Autumn and Kimberly Wolf are very appealing.

I like purple and I like eyes, so both Purple Eyed Dragonfly and your seedling are lovely. But that red weakness of mine gets me over and over, so Hearts and Lace is my favorite.

kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Well, they are all beautiful but HEARTS AND LACE is my very favorite.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

The QUEEN is strutting her stuff, now.but, I like the other one best.INIMITABLE its a beauty and nice and round.LAKE TAHOE AUTUMN is gorgeous. I think my favorite of todays beauties is HEARTS AND LACE.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat - Yes, I got Lake Tahoe Autumn last year. I find lates from Florida are rarely ever late here. Stamile's English Lavender has been blooming for several days now.

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I do like all 3 whites but I think my favorite white is Winter Treasure. I like the upward facing daylilies. How tall is it? I also like Purple Eyed Dragonfly. Marg

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Your flowers are gorgeous - so big and healthy looking. The whites have a special place in my heart.

Nancy

• sann777
    10 years ago

Well, they are all just beautiful. Narnia, Winter Treasure, Inimitable, and Lake Tahoe Autumn are my favorites. I also like the seedling very much. Sarah

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

My favorites of these are the whites--love those--Purple Eyed Dragonfly, and that gorgeous seedling. Avedon

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all lovely, but my favorites are Winter Treasure, Purple Eyed Dragonfly and your seedling
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I like your seedling Debra. Very nice.
    I also have Winter Treasure and I love that touch of white in the garden.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg - Winter Treasure is registered at 28 inches, but it seems about 30 this year in my garden.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

The whites are beautiful, but my favorite has to be your seedling.

Do you ever have an issue with white daylilies with blue or purple eyes appearing more peach? I've avoided that color combination for that reason. Several Lambertsons I grew in the past always bloomed orangey-peach with a purple eye (not my favorite color combo).

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I haven't had the problem with white daylilies with blue or purple eyes appearing more peach, but I don't have too many of those. Mystic Mariner aerries and Cream come to mind, and I never have a peach problem with them. Here the cream daylilies usually appear more yellow.My seedling above and the other round seedling of mine with with a blue violet eye and edge have pink undertones. It could be Lambertson's looked that way because of your cool nights. I know a lot of his blues look purple farther north. Purple Eyed Dragonfly is a light cream yellow.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

wow, beautiful photos. I like the white ones. :)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Your Whites are fabulous. I can't pick a favorite....Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I'll take one of each they all look awesome.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

They are all lovely. I love large flowers, so Inimitable lures me. But I love the color on LAKE TAHOE AUTUMN & Kimberly. Love the blue eye & shape of PURPLE EYED DRAGONFLY. Your seedling is stunning

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

I love Hearts and Lace, and then the last two, the best. I'm a sucker for a purple eye and those are lovely.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Good to know about the lates from Florida. I already know that none of the EE are going to be early here :) Well, not that I tried all them :)
    The main thing they are pretty and welcome any season though!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Now is the purple dragonfly a consistently good performer? There is always a question mark about Lambertsons.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Debra, the whites are really looking white. Inimitable hasn't bloomed here yet as a lot of others. I still have tons of scapes to go though. Winter Treasure looks fantastic. Your seedling is pretty too!! Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Purple Eyed Dragonfly has not been a good performer so far, but I still have it growing in a pot with few nutrients. the few blooms I do have are always perfect.

Debra

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus