Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Some pics before the rain

mantis__oh
11 years ago

Just enough rain to spoil blossoms, but pathetically insufficient to quench plant thirst; so I had to water as well.

APRICOT JADE I like this one--vigorous, with color that holds.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER Not great plant habit, but still attracts attention:

ROSE MASTERPIECE vigorous

TROPICAL EXPERIENCE Will never impress with bud count.

DOWN HOME

ALICE LAMBERTSON Has never flourished here, but with the mild winter and a new location, is looking better:

FOREVER REDEEMED Got this at Chris's suggestion; she likes them bold. Seems to be growing well here. Picture is too close up. Hose snakes in background.

BILL NORRIS Old, but nothing to sneer at.

IMPERIAL EMPRESS after a hot day of sun. A shade of pink that carries. Thought I had lost this one, bought another, and discovered I now have three. Don't tell me you have never bought duplicates by mistake.

MEPHISTOPHOLES towers over the garden:

I placed MOHAWK CHIEF in a hospital garden I tend:

Comments (11)

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your photos and comments. Performance is important for me, so APRICOT JADE is my pick as favorite, and I think I see a rebloom scape emerging also.
    Christine

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

BILL NORIS is gorgeous, it is my favorite. And I love that garden with all the yellow of the Black Eyed Susans and the yellow daylilies, It looks so pretty.

• shive
    11 years ago

The clump of Apricot Jade is eyecatching, and I see Mexican Magic peeking through the blooms. It looks good with Apricot Jade! My other favorite photos are the clumps of Rose Masterpiece and Bill Norris. Both of those are classics that never go out of style. I look forward to my Bill Norris clump reblooming soon. Mephistopholes looks like a fine, rich purple. I find myself wanting to add it to that hospital bed you tend. It would look spectacular with those gold daylilies and the black-eyed Susans. And yes, I admit I have bought duplicate plants by mistake. Imperial Empress is so pretty I can see why you would buy it more than once.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

A nice job of tending to the hospital garden. I love the combo you did in there.
    I have ROSE MASTERPIECE and it always sends up multiple scapes and blooms. Your pic is just beautiful and I agree that it is a vigorous daylily. DOWN HOME I have also but never get the kind of blooms you show. Maybe this year it will finally strut its stuff.
    BILL NORRIS pic is also stunning. How did I miss getting that gorgeous yellow.
    APRICOT JADE is my favorite. What is the daylily behind them?

Julia

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Mohawk jade looks fantastic in you hospital garden. The black eyed susans really draw the attention to both. My fav is AJ also. Love the color and the incredible bloom scapes...Ellie

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Debra is correct; it is Mexican Magic in the background of Apricot Jade. MM has not been a strong grower here.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

You must be south of us-we got the first decent rain that we've have all spring today-came with a little small hail-but I was happy to get rain, so I won't complain. I like Forever Redeemed best today-I think I'm just in a red mood.

• deangreen
    11 years ago

really like that first pic with the japanese maple in back! also that last pic, wow with the yellow flowers and purple grass plumes.. very nice job! :)

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Rose Masterpiece, Forever Redeemed and Bill Norris are my favorites. Mephistopholes is a nice tall dark one, and I like the pic with what seems like a sea of daylilies behind it! Love the last hospital garden bed, looks great.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

I really like the color on Bill Norris, sometimes being older is a good thing you know that they have stood the test of time not like some of the newer varieties that are here today and gone tommorrow.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I love the two clump pictures of Apricot Jade and Bill Norris. And I spy a japanese maple lurking in the background. I have a few myself and that's another addiction I could embark upon quite readily...LOL.

I like the 'older' daylilies and think they are just as desirable and beautiful as their younger counterparts. A daylily doesn't have to be frilly or exotic to impress me,
    just having good habits and bloom is the major criteria.

Celeste