Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Today's Blooms 062414

gonegardening
9 years ago

Happy Tuesday, Daylily People: Warning, today is picture heavy. Just can't help it. Moving rapidly toward peak bloom and well, it's just too much fun!

Unfortunately, the new camera just came a little while ago...so, the battery is charging and I had to make do with the other this morning. So disappointed it didn't come yesterday as promised, but I get free shipping (oh joy) to compensate.

Anywho....In no particular order, here is Grandma's Sweetheart, another great tiny one from Tim Herrington:

Tactical Cat:

Applique, always makes me happy...for some weird reason, I think of court jesters when I see the blooms:

Rolling Like a River:

Okay, a little story about this one. Twice, I removed this one from my garden. Just didn't wow me. Then, a few years ago, I'm at a club sale, just browsing (you know how it is) when the hybridizer of this daylily suggests it to me (it was only $5). I hesitated and she reminded me that it's award winning, etc. Okay, okay, I bite. Now, here's the amazing thing. This daylily is like the energizer bunny. I stuck it over on the side where it gets very little love, attention or fertilizer (forget about weeding). The darn thing just blooms and blooms...plus, it's putting up rebloom scapes. Amazing. What to think?

Sometimes I just think some plants are duds. I don't know why. Then, you get it from somewhere else and it just blows you away. That's how I feel (now). Who would ever let this get away? (Besides me, before...haha)

After all that, I present Stella's Ruffled Fingers:

Because I just like to torture (haha), Wild Cherry Wine (without raindrops):

Heavenly Angel Ice:

Closer:

And those scapes (sigh)...

The tall Dances with Giraffes (not even as tall as it will get as I moved it last year):

Not too shabby of a scape for a moved daylily:

Captivating Smile:

Someday Soon (a Bennett daylily, haha) with too much sun on it:

Wild and Free...I could (and do) take pictures of this one every single day:

Stippled Statement, a good daylily here:

It started the season off with a poly:

Cerise Masterpiece, which I hope will show me some stuff once it settles in (another one I moved from too much shade):

A great name, yes? One Too Many Cats:

That's all, folks....(if I'd had the new camera and been happy with the photos, I guess you'd have to settle in with popcorn and a soda...haha...maybe tomorrow...kidding)

Comments (8)

• jean_ar
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

haha I love your daylilies(Well, most of them anyway) not jumping with joy with the one you say you take pictures of every day, but,I take photos of my favorite ones every day, too, and I love your stories along with the blooms.interesting..I think my favorite bloom in all this is
    Captivating Smile. its a very pretty one. my very favorite one is Stella's Ruffled Fingers.I would love to have that one,and my second favorite is Wild Cherry Wine . very pretty.

jean

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I'm looking at your first two photos and wondering what on earth is wrong with your old camera? The clarity of those photos is ten times better than either of my cameras.

I'm not usually drawn to small flowered daylilies, but I really like the first one. Tactical Cat and Captivating Smile are satisfying my need for cool, purplish daylilies right now and, of course, Wild Cherry Wine is such a fabulous pure pink.

I want to bring popcorn next time, so bring 'em on!

• shive
    9 years ago

I'm thinking your old camera takes very fine photos too! These are fabulous photos of gorgeous daylilies. Applique always makes me happy too! I need to move it into more sun so it can rebloom. I'm especially drooling over Wild Cherry Wine and Heavenly Angel Ice pictures. Both of those are just scrumptious!

Debra

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Heavenly Angel Ice likes to be undisturbed, and yours looks like a fabulous clump. Alas, Cerise Masterpiece has never settled in here. It must like warmer climes.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Love Heavenly Angel Ice, it is a favorite here too. All of your photos are pretty, but I really like the color on Tactical Cat. I like the name of One Cat Too Many so well I will probably eventually have to add that one. But my favorite is Wild Cherry Wine. The color and the edges are so pretty. Mine has done so well this year too. I love my Bud Bennett daylilies, and wish I had more of them.

kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Boy that Dances with Giraffes is a tall one. One looong scape before you see the bloom on top. Great to see a picture of it showing that......Heaveny Angel Ice is pretty, along with Cerise Masterpice and Wild Cherry Wine, which make up my top three out of this group....Maryl

• deangreen
    9 years ago

I really like that first one with orange on orange!! I'm gonna go look it up! ha :)

• User
    9 years ago

Heavenly Angel Ice has my vote.