Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Trip to Oakes Daylilies' Bloom Festival

TNY78
10 years ago

Yesterday and today Oake's had their bloom festival! It seemed like 90% of their plants were blooming and it was a georgeous day to be outside! For attending the free fesitival everyone received a free daylily to take home (either Leebea Orange Crush or Trahlyta...of course my husband and I both pulled Orange Crush...so I'll share the duplicate with a friend).

I ended up with 7 daylilies:

3/$15 bare root and each had 4-6 large fans!!)
Dancing Lions
Dominic
Frankly Scarlet

3/$25 bare root
Holly Dancer
Olympic Gold
Red Volunteer

Potted $7.95
Real Wind

Below are some pictures (I wish I would have photographed all of their names, but I didn't think to until we were halfway around the gardens)

Tammy

Free Wheelin

Spellbound Spring

Hayride around the farm with the owner

Prince of Purple (Love this one!!!)

Indian Giver on the left (I don't know the name of the other)

Mount Helena

Red Vols

Imperial Impression

Compliment Magnet

?? But I love it!!!

Drop Dean Georgeous

Wizard at Large

Southwestern Memories

Black Gum

??

??

Orange Vols

??love it...wish I remembered the name!!

hayride

Creepy Crawler

??

Might be Little Grapette??

Comments (7)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good pictures! The red-eyed gold looks like Fooled Me. Southwestern Memories has a much bigger edge than I expected. Oakes always gives big divisions--really double a normal division. I appreciate that, especially after coming from a local daylily place where every double fan was carefully cut so as not to give me even the beginning of a third fan, and one double fan was cut so it had little root. Once on the lily auction I actually noted in my rating that the divisions were "ungenerous."

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:57

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Looks as if you had a wonderful trip. the photos are lovely.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

What fun that must have been. I ordered from Oakes this year after having quit for a few years and the clump they sent me (blooming already) reminded me of how much I like them. Some of the ones you posted I wondered about (Orange Vols for instance) and thanks to you I've seen them in "real Life" as opposed to a garden catalog. I wish you knew the name of that hot pink. I agree with you on it. I didn't realize they offered daylilies that had more of the modern edges to them. Thanks for posting this. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride....Maryl

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Gorgeous pictures. You must have had a wonderful time. And You have quite a daylily haul there that you took home.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It really was so much fun! I've been to a lot of gardens, but this is my first daylily farm. I can't wait to go back next year. When we were walking around the display beds, I didn't realize that we were suppossed to write down what we wanted to buy and that they would dig and ship them for free to us...so I could have ended up with a much larger haul! The one's I bought were predug and prepotted, but they still had about 40 varieties ready to go!

Tammy

• shive
    10 years ago

Your photos are wonderful. I enjoyed the tour, and it sounds like you got some great ones at the festival. Thanks for sharing you photos!

debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

what a fun trip, this gets me excited for Nationals in Minneapolis in July! :) I really like the prince of purple with those white lines going down the petals.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living