Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Today's Blooms 061914

gonegardening
9 years ago

Hi guys: Although it's early yet, things are getting going here in VA. Many changes in my garden this year, with more to come. Less really is more! Or so I believe. No more latest and greatest, but plenty of favorites here still.

A few oldies but goodies:

Bali Watercolor opened today with a huge bloom:

Velvet Ribbons:

The early and fragrant Schnickel Fritz:

A strong early performer for me, Marseilles Watercolor:

A couple of little guys, Spacecoast Tiny Perfection:

and Little Crooner, one of the few Stamile tiny ones that appears to like it here:

These two caught my eye this year because of their scapes...Blues Music

Note the branching on what I consider the senior scapes (vs more newbie scapes):

and Black Fathom Depths:

(pic from a couple days ago):

In the enormous category, Daybloomer Dreams:

No category for these (smile), just nice blooms today...even in the heat:

Madness to See:

Big City Eye:

and lastly, Queen Kathleen:

These were all taken (except the scapes one of Black Fathom Depths) around 8:30 am this morning...and you can see the sun was already out in force. Guess I'm going to have to get out earlier!

This post was edited by gonegardening on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 17:46

Comments (13)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Blues Music and Black Fathom Depths are really heavily budded. Your plants look very healthy. Schnickel Fritz I like, but wish it were a bit taller. How does Daybloomer Dreams perform for you?

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 23:05

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Black Fathom Depths is so pretty and I have that one too. I like Daybloomer Dreams. I don't think I have a color like that in spider/unusual form.

I like them all and thanks for sharing you pics.

Julia

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Nice ones today! I really like the pic of Schnikel Fritz trio.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

They are all very pretty, and they sure have lots of buds on them, I really like Schnickel Fritz:,Dont think I have seen that one before, but its very pretty.

jean

• Faye57
    9 years ago

Very pretty

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

OOh! That Spacecoast Tiny Perfection looks to be just that.
    And although I usually don't care for the off white daylilies, your picture of Marseilles Watercolor is wonderful. So many pretty ones from you so far........Maryl

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, y'all.

I moved Schnickel Fritz and Vi to the front of a border...finally...and have been much happier with them.

Daybloomer Dreams does pretty well for me. I have three fans and three scapes. One of the scapes is considerably taller, which I think is the mature height. With such a large flower, I think it is much better appreciated on the taller scape.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Lots of nice reliables here, Katie! I love Day Bloomer Dreams and Black Fathom Depths. Spacecoast Tiny Perfection always tempts me when I see photos and the terrific reviews it's received.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Black Fathom Depths is wonderful. I am also in zone 7a and Marseilles Watercolor has been a strong grower and bloomer for me also. I don't get anywhere near the advertised bud count of 35, but very healthy plants with many scapes and every flower is perfect.

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris! I just emailed you! (finally) Yes, I am getting down to those reliables (smile) slowly but surely.

Ah, anniegolden...you probably will only get advertised bud counts on plants hybrdized closer to you...and if you can duplicate the grower's conditions. Just sayin' . Lots of buds early in the season (like now) are pretty thrilling, but I have found that after a month of picking blooms...I (haha) start to appreciate those that maybe have less buds but make up for it with a spectacular flower. I am a mixed bag of likes/wants. Haha.

• shive
    9 years ago

Daybloomer Dreams and Black Fathom Depths are the ones that really catch my eye. I've gotten rid of most of my miniature and small daylilies to make room for seedlings. But Black Fathom Depths is tempting because of the nice bud count, and I think it always reblooms for Kay.

Debra

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Debra...I am kinda ashamed to admit that Black Fathom Depths was slated to be gone. All the others around it (that were crowded in with it, ha) are gone. I just ran out of steam last fall. Then, when spring finally came this year, everything grew very fast...and I stopped and stared at it. Haha. It showed me.

I used to think I didn't like the little blooms...but, they have caught on with me. Now, I can't think of any that I don't like...which makes it so darn difficult to say NO. Haha.

Good luck with the seedlings! I'll be looking for pics!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

You have a lot of beautiful blooms. Black Fathom Depths is my favorite, and is in my "top ten" of all daylilies.

kay

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner