Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_max

Dividing Day Lilies

mary_max
9 years ago

When you divide your day lilies do you divide by fans or clumps. If by fans how many do you use per new plant? Thanks

Comments (13)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I usually only divide my daylilies when I'm taking a few to gift to someone, but I have a couple clumps that really need to be divided to get going again. If you're dividing by fans, it's easiest to dig up the whole clump and hose away all the dirt so you can clearly see where the fans are to divide them. Some people just put a spade through the entire clump, which is easier but you usually lose a few fans that way. I'd think you'd want a minimum of 2-3 fans per planting when you divide them.

Chris

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Chris! If I divide the stella day lilies and use three fans per plant how far should I space them? I am doing a long border that I will want filled in in a year or so. Thanks

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I really cram my daylilies in close together, but I think the general rule is about 18 inches. Stella clumps can be smaller, and you want it to fill in quickly, so I might go with 12 inches for more immediate effect.

• mary_max
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay I will go with the 12". Thank you. thank you, thank you! I was just thinking today how wonderful the Garden Site is and how much I have learned over the past few year from so many different people. You guys/gals are so helpful and you probably will never know how much people like me appreciate your help! Thanks again!

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Well, thanks for saying that! We all love our gardens, and especially our daylilies, so we're happy to help. Please post photos when you can.

Chris

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

Since there's already a thread about dividing, thought I'd tag my question on here. I know that dividing is supposed to help the daylilies "perform better". What does that mean exactly? Just produce more scapes and buds? I have a couple of huge daylily clumps. They have plenty of scapes, but the buds don't really seem to be making progress. Maybe I'm just too impatient, but I was wondering if this kind of thing could be helped by dividing.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I have a huge clump of Mary Todd that was here when we moved in, and it's never been divided (14 years?). I told myself last year I should divide it and promptly forgot, and neglected to do it again this spring. I'm paying for it now by having few scapes and few buds, while the plant takes up almost four feet of garden space. Dividing reinvigorates the plant so new clumps don't have to compete for water, nutrients, etc..

I won't divide mine until September or October so the divisions have at least six weeks in the ground before frost. Next spring, they should bloom on schedule.

• Ed
    9 years ago

I agree! Chris is a gem!

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Aww shucks, Ed.

Hey, where are your photos? Why don't you post some of your favorites?

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

I need to divide some huge clumps of stella's to refresh a bed on the driveway before the tulip bulbs get here. Can I do this now? I don't care of the blooms stop for the year.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Even though Stella d'Oro is tough as nails, since spring has passed, fall would be best in a warm zone like Maryland's - and that's when you'd be digging to plant your tulips anyway. Make it a combined venture - dig, divide, replant the Stellas, and plant the tulip bulbs at the same time.

Truth be told, I divide my Stella's any time of the season; when scapes are forming, when they're in bloom, when the first flush of blooms die down - doesn't seem to negatively impact them. Summers aren't particularly hot here and we get regular rain and fog.

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

duluthinbloomz4, Thanks. I know it is best in the Fall or Spring but I have about 1100 bulbs to plant in the Fall. I am only one person. I have to get some jobs done beforehand. I guess I'll just trim her back, divide, replant, water well and hope for the best. I have been planting daylilies from mail orders all Summer and all seems fine. Hope it works.

• Ed
    9 years ago

I'm too lazy Chris, don't want to hassle with a photo hosting site. Or I'm protesting that GW won't provide direct uploading of your pictures. I've started backing up my photos on Google Photos, but haven't figured out if it will host photos. One of these days maybe. Been posting on fb lately.

But, I enjoy all the pictures you guys post. Little need for me to add to them. Ed