Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

No daylilies today but plenty of roses.

newyorkrita
10 years ago

So far I am only having the same three daylilies blooming that I have shown before. The extra early bloomers.

But the roses are really putting on a show for me now.

Front yard views

Roses and catmint

The Southside Rose Garden this morning.

More rose views.

This last one is Cherry Parfeit

And I have been harvesting both zucchini and yellow squash. Picked these today and broiled them up for lunch!

Comments (13)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

The roses are gorgeous, as always, Rita. And the veggies look sumptuous.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Rita; Your roses are so pretty.so green and healthy looking. love CHERRY PARFAIT. I have that one too.My favorite color in a rose is the yellow ones.looks like you have had good luck in your squash.They look big.I am about to eat my first tomatoes and cucumber, maybe tomorrow.

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I am absolutely in awe of your beautiful garden, Rita. CHERRY PARFAIT is a dream rose. I like your veggies -- I planted some squash in pots and so far, they are rotting. Well...I tried. I have no room for them in the ground.

Your garden should be pictured in a magazine -- or a video on You Tube!

Nancy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, thanks. Veggies taste great!

Jean, my cucumbers are small yet, no fruits. But my tomato plants doing very well. No ripe ones yet though.

Nancy, thank you. I do love it when the roses have their spring flush each year as they do look so fabulous at this time of year.

All my zucchini and summer squash are in pots and growing well.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

So enjoyed the tour! Your roses are lovely! Lesley

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous and you squash look very tasty. Still waiting for the daylilies here too.
    Val

• shive
    10 years ago

Do you ever find yourself humming "Everythings Coming Up Roses" while strolling through your yard? I was humming it looking at these photos. LOL I adore the look of your roses fronted by the catmint. It really brings everything together. I love that rose that spills over the wall toward the catmint and Cherry Parfeit.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Beautiful roses Rita.

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Rita I swear you have not only a green thumb but all your fingers and toes too. Everything in your gardens are amazing.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Who needs daylilies when you have such amazing roses! Wait, WHO SAID THAT! They are truly beautiful, but I can't wait for your daylilies either. Seems so amazing that you don't have more daylilies blooming when we are supposedly the same zones :) I used to be zone 6, but they have changed me to zone 7. Mine are just really getting started good. I've taken a few pictures, but haven't gotten them all uploaded to photobucket yet. Fortunately, it seems to be working well for me now. Just don't have a lot of time, still doing physical therapy 3 days a week, don't know why that seems to drain me so much.
    Anyway, I love the yellow roses & the last Cherry Parfait. When I did grow some roses when I lived in town (for some reason, no beetles in town) , I could never get a nice yellow rose. You have squash too! I planted mine late so don't have any yet. My tomatoes are growing nicely, but I only see 1 tiny tomato. I imagine there must be something the soil is needing, I should look it up or really get my soil tested.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    I can tell you why PT is draining you so much. they are working you to within an inch of your life, that's why! It makes a huge difference though, so stick with it.

kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wonderful roses! Cherry Parfait roses look so good! But my favorite are yellow roses.
    Mmm, zucchinis :) One of my favorite vegetables, This year I finally bought one. I'll try growing in a pot like you

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Debra, I am so used to the roses so no singing for me. Thank goodness for the neighbors because I can't sing very well at all ha-ha.

Nancy, I am sure the physical therapy is making a big difference in a speedy recovery.

This is my first year growing any type of zucchini or squash. I had to put them in pots as I had no where else I could plant them what with my 62 tomato plants and 14 pepper plants that are in ground.