Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

New and Good for Saturday

organic_kitten
10 years ago

First bloom on Mean as a Snake: I moved it last fall, so it will have to grow a bit before it blooms much:

This one may and may not stay. It is Princess Charming:

Before I show any more pretties, here is the ugly. Japanese Beetles attacking the Polka Rose. One of them got away, the rest died a soapy water death:

First Bloom on Oranges for Christmas:

Vulcan Logic, taken at midday:

Always Lovely:

Little Brandon:

Salty Skipper...that's Abe Darby on the top left:

Oh why not: Here's Philistine Champion this morning:

Mabou:

This is for Debra: Rocket Blaster polys quite frequently. This photo was taken at 7:30 AM

This one was taken a few minutes before 5:00 PM, after a day in the sun.

An Oldie still attractive in a clump: Mulberry Marvel:

Flames Over Africa has bloomed so well this year:

Longlesson Liberty Bell:

Robed in Majesty:

kay

Comments (18)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

A really impressive batch of blooms starting with that stunning purple on Mean As A Snake. But I have to choose Oranges for Christmas as my favorite. So very pretty. But then again the clump of Philistine Champion looks so good. Poor roses getting eatten up by those horrid Japanese Beetles.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Sorry, Kay -- they are all so lovely I cannot make a choice. About the time I decided on FLAMES OVER AFRICA, I'd change my mind and pick ROBED IN MAJESTY. Then I'd go back and take another look...and well, you know how hard it is to pick a favorite among so many great daylilies.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Did you ever decide when peak was? Longlesson Liberty Bell is a pleasing color and form. How would you evaluate it after a few years?

• shive
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for posting the comparison shots of Rocket Booster. I'd say it holds its color very well. It stays! My favorite single is Mean As A Snake, even though it doesn't look very mean. My favorite clump is Flames Over Africa. What a nice Munson!

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

good grief, Kay. so many beauties,I can not pick me a favorite out of these, I love all of them,the first one is a beauty, but, one I would not have just because of th ename of it.but it certainly is a beauty., and that last one is just beautiful, too. so many beauties. I done went up and down scrolling and looking. so pretty, am so sorry about the beetles after your gorgeous roses. I just never did have them on any of my roses. lucky I guess, Deer was always after them,and maybe they beat the beetles to them.

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Mean as a Snake is beautiful! It's my favorite. Love Philistine champion clump too
    Rocket Blaster looks pretty good after the day in the sun.
    What about that Princess Charming? Looks very delicate with great edge.
    And.. death to the beetles!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks nat4b. It's like this. I don't really like the edges like that one on Princess Charming. I kind of cringe when I look at it. It blooms well. It just isn't my thing. I like some delicate, Wild Cherry Wine, Salty skipper, Pink Gingham...but that yellow edge. That's why it is probably out to a new and more appreciative home.

Mean as a Snake is a very nice purple though, with an extremely fine white edge...it I love. And it is purple here! Almost unheard of.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

So many pretty ones. Maybe its because they're clump shots, but my favorites favorites are Salty Skipper and Philistine Champoin.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Mean as a Snake and Philistine Champion are my two favorites. That dark royal purple on MAAS is luscious.....Maryl

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

This is another great group from you. Are you past peak yet?

Flames Over Africa used to live here, but never looked anything like yours. Evidently it likes your hospitality more than mine. And there you go taunting me with Salty Skipper again. I hunted for a few Bennett cultivars over the winter and found Wild Cherry Wine, but no luck with Salty Skipper.

Mean as a Snake and Robed in Majesty are beauties.

Chris

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val, I am always a sucker for clump sots. Salty Skipper started out with several blooms, and it is covered with buds, but no bloom today(/Sunday).

Maryl, thank you. Not only is that dark purple "delicious" but as rare as the proverbial "hen's teeth" here where purple usually translates to red.

Chris,

I swapped Salty skipper with Ruth in Texas for Wild Cherry Wine. I seem to remember offering you a start od Salty skipper last year. It has done really well for me, and I could still send you a start if you like.
    kay

• Nancy
    10 years ago

MMM, I really like a lot of these. Mean as a Snake is a beautiful purple, I always like Philistine Champion & Salty Skipper. Love the look of Robed in Majesty too.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I was so excited to see Mean As A Snake. That's a beautiful purple. All of these are terrific, and it is great to see Oranges For Christmas. I just got it this spring and it has one scape now, so will be a later bloomer for us. Philistine Champion is wonderful, a champion bloomer. I like to see polys, too, Rocket Booster is such a pretty red. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice photos Kay. Salty Skipper is always a favorite but that clump of Philistine Champion is just a blooming machine.
    Sending you a message. I've been offline for a couple of days as our daughter was moving her things to Virgina with the help of our son this weekend and they headed back this morning.

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love Salty Skipper and Always Lovely is looking awfully pretty to.
    Linda

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Kay, I'd love a fan of Salty Skipper if you can spare one. Maybe we'll talk later this year and we'll see what I can send you in trade.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I can Chris. It is a shame to really want one and be unable to find it, and it has multiplied very well for me.
    kay

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Kay, everything is blooming so well for you! All of my roses are into their summer slumber already, but the only two well established daylilies that I have are blooming their heads off!

I love Princess Charming! Those frilly edges (again) really call to me! Oranges for Christmas is such a unique color...I really like that one too!

Tammy

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler