Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Monday's Faces

organic_kitten
10 years ago

I've always been fond of this little Spacecoast bloom: Black Velvet Baby:

A clump of Eye-Yi-Yi

Johnny Cash is still blooming and has started putting up rebloom scapes. I need to give it some Epsom salts for the yellow foliage:

The Secret of Contentment is an Emmerich with very tall scapes:

Walter Kennedy Twins:

Bohemian Rhapsody:

Fire in the Hole with Big Red Combo:

Carolina Sugar Daddy:

Hearts of Fire:

Rose F Kennedy:

kay

Comments (12)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Rose F Kennedy looks beautiful but Hearts Of Fire is my favorite. Lots going on in your daylily garden. Everywhere I look there are still plenty of buds comming on those scapes of yours.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

You really have some beauties again today. I love Johnny Cash. Epsom salt for yellow leaves? I have some yellow leaves, but also lots of dead leaves.Love that BIG RED COMBO too and HEARTS OF FIRE is a beauty.I really love that one, too.
    I didn't take photo's this morning. Woke up early, but, could not make this achey body get up and go this morning..

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Such beautiful flowers! It's a toss-up between JOHNNY CASH, HEARTS OF FIRE and ROSE F. KENNEDY for my top pick.

Nancy

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I have to tell you that every time I see the one call "Carolina Sugar Daddy" I have to give a chuckle.
    RFK is so pretty with that big green throat.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

So many pretty ones it's hard to pick favorites. Love the dark color with white edge of Johnny Cash and the big eye on Walter Kennedy. Rose F Kennedy with that fabulous green throat is spectacular and I always love Hearts of Fire.
    Val

• shive
    10 years ago

Troubled foliage or not, Johnny Cash is a knockout. It's a three-way tie for that one, Hearts of Fire, and Rose F. Kennedy. It looks like you have some late scapes or rebloom scapes on a few of these clumps.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

You have a bunch of very pretty blooms in this group, Hearts of Fire is looking especially fine and is my favorite.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Johnny Cash & Rose F Kennedy are really catching my eye! Love the light colored edge with the deep color of Johnny, & I don't have to explain Rose, she's just so pretty. Shouldn't have looked back though, I really like the pink of Secret of Contentment too.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you all for looking and commenting. My garden is heavy on the reds and the eyes, but I also really love the dark ones with light edges. Thus, I got and lost Johnny Cash twice before I finally bought the present and had success! So thanks you all for liking it too. And Debra, yes, Johnny Cash is a reliable re-bloomer for me, and it does have re-bloom scapes. I have 24 plants with re-bloom scapes now. I doubt I'll reach last year's total, but it is fun to find them and see them bloom.

By the way, Debra, I have had Ruby Lipstick a couple of years now, and it is doing the sleep, creep, leap thing with this being a leap year. So many buds! Another one you enabled me on, you do know that. One of many.

Rita, Jean Linda, and Val. Hearts of Fire is one of those reds that had to live here. It is always an early opener, the slugs and thrips leave it alone, and it is red! What more could you ask. I know, to have a row of them like Rita's:)

All of you who commented on Rose F Kennedy. I would love to have seen the hybridizer when he saw that one, wouldn't you? It is a very large bloom and just catches your eye when you look at the garden. There is nothing nondescript about it.

Val. Walter Kennedy was one of the ones that I had to wait a couple of years to see blooms. I am really glad I waited, because I, too, love that big eye.

Julia, I think Rita got Carolina Sugar Daddy as a bonus, but I ordered it because I a) liked the name and b) really liked the bloom. It is a really good bloomer here, and re-bloomed last year. too soon to tell if it will re-bloom this year or not.

Nancy, Secret of Contentment is an odd one. It has large beautiful blooms and they open well. It is a tall one, that never hides in the foliage. I gave that plant away to a dear friend and it, like often happens, had a piece of it come up the next year.

This year, we've had odd weather, and even though I have sprayed more than ever, the foliage is the worst it has ever been, as are the thrips and the slugs. Disgusting!

Thank you again for all the nice comments.

kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

So many beauties. Johnny Cash is so pretty. I didn't even notice any foliage problems until I read your comment and went to look for it. Hope salts will help.
    Love Hearts of Fire, and it's great that it's insect resistant.
    And my very favorite is Rose F Kennedy, everything is great about it :)

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat4b, I've been spraying with Clearys 336F, but I still have some ratty foliage. Probably just all the rain we've had. HOF is a great plant. Actually, none of the bugs have been on RFK either, so that's an added plus. thanks for looking and commenting.
    kay

• deangreen
    10 years ago

that yi yi makes such a nice clump that orangey with the green leaves below. very nice.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz