Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A Wizard, a Buzz Saw and Tiffany's Jewels (photos)

shive
11 years ago

This is our one day of cool-off before the long journey into triple digit temps. I tried to do too much today in the gardens while it was in the 70s and 80, and got a bit of a sunburn. I had a few ffo's this morning. It's always exciting to see new faces in the garden.

HOW LOVELY YOU ARE opened with a very pale pink color. I think it's been so hot, the petals have faded in bud. But since it's new, I'm not sure.

WIZARD'S WISH burst onto the scene with three flowers today in different parts of the clump.

Jamie Gossard's BUZZ SAW was whirling in the wind when I first saw it's ffo this morning.

FRANCIS OF ASSISI duo - Arm in arm, don't they look like bff's?

TIFFANY JEWELS - Hey, I've got a Moldovan theme going here!

AUGUST FROST threesome - Notice how each of these three blooms is shaped differently. It reminded me of the old (ancient) TV show, To Tell the Truth. Each bloom is saying, "I'm the real August Frost." LOL

BUTTER PECAN duo

ADAMAS trio

ANGELUS BLUE SKIES poly - My husband says this looks like a Christmas Ornament. Just put it on top of the tree!

Debra

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

That is some poly, it is starlike.

You have a lot of beauties, Debra. I like brights, so I like Wizards Wish and Francis of Assisi, but I also like the delicate Tiffany's Jewels...and the clumps and twins are beautiful. can't choose just one here.
    kay

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Wizard's Wish gets my vote as favorite. Such a rich color with the almost white sepals. I like the form of How Lovely You are. It reminds me a bit of Victorian Lace. How dark is it suppoesed to be. Probably just the color I like...LIL!! Ellie

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

I love the delicate coloring of How Lovely You Are and Tiffany Jewels, and the photo of Butter Pecan is terrific. I'm glad you were able to be productive before the brutal heat hits. I wish I'd been able to do the same.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow, you had a cool spell. got to 98 here which was nice, after that 104 yesterday.HOW LOVELY YOU ARE, is gorgeous. love that one.and WIZARD WISH just jumps out at you.Love FRANCIS O ASSIST. gorgeous bloom, and AUGUST FROST is a winner, too.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ellie - How Lovely You are is a light pink, but not as pale pink as the bloom in my photo.

Jean - The high was only 88 degrees today, with most of the morning in the 70s. I wish I could get at least two or three days of that weather. I actually enjoyed doing yard work today.

Debra

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

The Butter Pecan is my favorite. They are all pretty though! Rena'

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Great selection for today again! Love them all, but Wizard's Wish and Buzz Saw especially. Butter Pecan is very nice, and I like the name too. Are those also first flowers on Francis of Assisi?

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Love the color on Wizard's Wish, but Butter Pecan was my favorite the moment I saw it. I don't remember seeing that one before, very pretty.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat - Francis of Assisi has been blooming for a few days now. It' s blooming later than usual because taller plants around it shaded it out this spring.

Debra

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Lot's of stunners today my favorite is Wizard's Wish, just love those colors.
    Linda

• IsabelleMaye
    11 years ago

Your daylilies are just beautiful! I am just starting out with daylilies but hope to expand my collection as time goes by. Once again, incredible daylilies!

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Holy cow, Debra! You have outdone yourself in the photography department. Your BUTTER PECAN twins photo is perfection. Kudos.
    Christine

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rena', Nat, Nancy, Christine - Butter Pecan is an oldie but goodie that was never widely distributed. It took me several years to acquire it. I tried to get it several times on the Lily Auction, but the bidding always went too high. I finally found it for sale at the Lily House last year. It's a very unique looking daylily with unusual coloring.

Isabelle - Welcome to the forum. We hope to see you posting more. Be careful when you "expand." Daylilies become very addicting.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Ah yes. Lovely, lovely blooms. Difficult to choose a favorite as usual as they are all so very nice. I think the BUTTER PECAN duo as they are both beautiful and different.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

Lovely photos!

I ditto the kudos on BUTTER PECAN - that is a great picture of an interesting looking daylily. (And I am surprised that I feel that way, as I normally loathe and despise contrasting light colored midribs.)

I have ANGELUS BLUE SKIES too - I love it when it polys, and it sometimes looks very blue-lavender to me. (The color seems to be a bit variable in my experience - perhaps the night temperatures have something to do with it. Mine has not been opening well lately; I suspect that maybe the sprinklers aren't getting it enough water.)

• caliloo
    11 years ago

I really like BUTTER PECAN but they are all very nice!

Alexa