nat4b
10 years ago

So last year I planted a lot of (for me) new daylilies, and
filled my yard to capacity. And I decided to go on a no-buy
this year. Little did I know.. :) That I will experience my
first serious losses after this winter. Lots of daylilies
didn't survive the winter, some started growing but after
a few days a 'reverse growth' happened. They would get
smaller and smaller and eventually disappear completely.
That was the worst part. Because, ok those that didn't
come up at all - I can't do anything, but those dwindling
every day - just practically dying in front of me..
Needless to say I was a sad panda. I haven't counted
how many I lost.. yet. Most of them were newly planted
last year, but there were also several 2 and 3 y olds.
Only two came back from 'the dead' - No More Tears
and Choral Fantasy (planted in 2011).
What was it? Last summer's severe drought, unusual
winter conditions, soil I used? Who knows. I also lost all of
the plants I ordered from my usual nursery (Bluestone)
last year - hostas, astilbes, heucheras, a fern; parts of
mock orange, parts of tea rose.. and, that was a
shocker, whole Double Knockout rose completely died.
Thanks for reading to whoever made it this far :)
Anyway, I took some pictures at that time, about a month ago. For comparison. This, for example is Chance Encounter.
It since doubled in size or even tripled and is Huge
{{gwi:805802}}
And this is how some of the new from last year dls looked at the same time
{{gwi:805803}}
Well, I have 2 or 3 left that didn't disappear completely, but they STILL look like this. I don't know what to do..

Oh and this is what I found in the spots where dls didn't show up after winter
{{gwi:805804}}

Now the happy flowers - almost all peonies, lots of pics

See empty spot b/w daylilies? It was Chicago Apache's place

{{gwi:805809}}

{{gwi:805811}}

PS. Sorry for the narrow text, I'm having some formatting issues

Comments (13)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I too lost some daylilies over winter but they were 2nd year seedlings. They grew well last year despite the drought we had so I don't know what happened. But like you I have peonies and shrubs blooming to keep me happy. Maybe this winter will be kinder for the daylilies. Marg

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I can certainly empathize with you after having lost 75 daylilies last year from crown rot. It was a terrible summer.

Your peonies are beautiful. We cannot grow them this far south.

Nancy

• sann777
    10 years ago

I don't know what happened to your daylilies, but you have some lovely peonies. Sarah

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I love the peonies!!! wish I could grow nice big clumps. :)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I am so sorry about your loss with your daylilies,And apparently for no reason, they just up amd died. but, you sure got some beautiful peonies.They are gorgeous.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The one picture shows a plant that has heaved, exposing the roots and crown. Did you mulch? I mulch fall planted ones here and generally start things in pots first.

• shive
    10 years ago

Nat - I'm so very sorry for your loss of daylilies and other perennials. Can you list the daylilies. Some of us who have big clumps could probably send you replacements. I lost some phloxes and daisies, even though these were still blooming into the fall. I guess it was the drought. I don't have any other explanation.

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

So sorry you lost so many plants but on the positive side it will be fun shopping for more. Your peonies are really putting on a show for you they are gorgeous.
    Linda

• Nancy
    10 years ago

how terrible! I can't help you on the cause, but heave would make sense for you. I've had an occasional one heave here, usually because I didn't get the new ones planted properly I guess. Fortunately they have recovered, don't think I've ever lost one to frost heave, so much warmer than you I guess. I tend to lose daylilies in July/August, seem to lose a few every year, sometimes well established clumps. They just rot & are gone before I even realize they are sick.
    Yes, please list the plants you lost, maybe we can help. Your peonies are lovely though!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

It is hard to explain the loss of a Knockout rose. Are there any drainage issues? I would replant those that have exposed crown and root.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I suggest that any of them that are still alive be dug up and planted in pots with potting soil and set in the shade until they perk up. You may succeed in saving them that way.

I am so sorry for your losses. do let us know what you lost.

The peonies are gorgeous!

kay

• nat4b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much for your sympathy!
    It's just.. that it is the first time this happened. I don't believe I ever lost a daylily.

Thanks Marg, yes that's strange, mine seemed to grow well too like you said about your seedlings, I don't know what happened.

Thanks Nancy, yes I remember reading about yours, so sad. 75 is a lot :(

Thanks Sarah and Deangreen, those old peonies turned to be very easy to grow, hope it continues

Thanks Jean, yep, just up and died :(

Thanks Mantis, the heaved one were not completely exposed. And no I didn't mulch (I never did). Some of them were started in pots! I can't think of anything regarding Knockout

Thanks Debra. Yes, probably drought. I don't have any daisies, and only creeping phlox - no problem there. Thank you very much for your generous offer. I am thinking of canceling my no-buy and at least replace all the Emmerichs, maybe I'll ask for some for my BD :)

Thanks Linda :)

Thanks Nancy from KY. I need to read about that heave. Is it when freezing and no snow? Because we always had snow, but this winter was a little different. Yes, I had some rot during last year drought but they all recovered, some completely some not. Bad thing too, this rot

Thanks Kay, I actually did pot up half of one plant, it died even faster than the one left in the ground. It was Handwriting on the WAll. Got it from Maryott, and it was bogo, and big.. never thought I'd have a problem.

I don't know what to do and how to help those tiny ones like in 2nd picture. They just don't grow at all.

As for the list, one of the dead ones was Xia Xiang, had it three years never saw a flower :) I don't think I'd replace it. Got it for the name (I am silly like that). Got Iowa Girl b/c I live in Iowa. Kitty Wells b/c we had a cat named Kitty, stuff like that. I was looking forward to Linda Beck, but it's easy to replace. If somebody ordered from Maryott at the same time last year maybe you remember that one of the promos was Rachelle Agin. I was excited to get it as a bonus because otherwise I couldn't afford it. Well.. maybe it was a sign that I don't need them..

I don't remember right now how many I ordered last year but quite a bit (for me), and only two are doing well. Thought I should mention them - it's The Band Played On (really wanted it, and I'm glad it didn't die) and JKO. Both have scapes!

• mizellie
    10 years ago

I have a couple that are in pretty bad shape. Mine was a mole run though and I'm pretty sure a vole ate most of the roots. I am going to pot those two because one of them has been replaced already and the same thing had happened. I reset all of my daylilies in the late summer and early fall but was very careful to mulch good...Ellie