Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Placed my first daylily orders...opinons :)

TNY78
10 years ago

I've been browsing, and finally gave in and placed a couple of orders. One from Earlybird, and another from an Ebay seller who seemed to have a good reputation (Carolina_Belle). I know Ebay is risky, but I've actually gotten some nice rose bushes off there. I received the Carolina Belle order yesterday, and they plants looked healthy and were a nice size. For some that were smaller, she gave me extra fans. I didn't want to go crazy buying a bunch of expensive ones until I see how these do.

Anyway:
Here's what I have coming. Any tips or opinions are definitely welcomed :)

Earlybird:
Cherokee Pass
Double Daffy
Indian Giver
Silver Lance
Kwanza Gold
Vesuvian Blackout

Carolina Belle : (went a slight bit overboard one late night)
Absolute Treasure
Autumn Wood
Awesome Candy
Beauty to Behold
Caribbean Midnight Vespers
Dreamworld
Glacier Bay
Roses in Snow
Sharks Tooth (bonus)
Sherry Lane Carr
Shores of Time
Silent Sentry (bosus)
Siloam Clarys Parade
Snow Blizzrd
Choco Taco
Wesley's Masterpiece
Zephyer's Song
South Seas
Trial by Fire
Tropical Print
Window Rock

Should be enough to get me started. I'm still thinking of placing an order for the "Skiing Collection" or "Frankie Avalon Collection" at Maryotts, once I get these in the ground.

Tammy

Here's a picture of my order after I unwrapped them this morning, and before I started planting them.
{{gwi:807373}}

This post was edited by TNY78 on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 19:31

Comments (16)

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Earlybird is selling out due to terrible drought in Kansas so I am sure you can get some good buys on what she has. She is an excellent seller I have purchased from her. The only one I have that you ordered from her is Indian Giver it is a great daylily.

Your order to Carolina Belle, I do not order off of ebay. I do have Absolute Treasure like this one and Sherry Lane Carr love this one.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Lots of nice ones. Dreamworld is a lovely soft pink shade. Autumn Wood and Glacier Bay both do well here. Silent Sentry is less reliable, but should do better further south. Cherokee Pass is very striking. Sherry Lane Carr, excellent. Snow Blizzard, nice double and good grower. You'll enjoy these.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I have South Seas, Autumn Wood and Indian Giver and they do fine here. Of those 3, South Seas is my favorite.

I have Wren's Song and Leslie Renee siblings to Shores Of Time,( ie they all came from the same pod/pollen parent crosses and were registered by Stamile but in different years.)

Good luck with your plantings. You got some really nice plants.

Julia

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your input. Its helping me decide which to put in obvious locations verses less obvious.

You're right about Earlybird's sale...they have 25% off all of them right now. So, the prices weren't too bad at all.

Tammy

• shive
    10 years ago

Your plants look great! You have some of my favorites: Indian Giver, Silver Lance, Autumn Wood, Absolute Treasure, Shores of Time, and Zephyr's Song. I hope these will grow well for you! And post photos when they bloom.

Debra

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Tammy just to tempt you a wee bit Earlybird is selling bargin boxes on the Lily Auction. As she is digging plants she does not replant and sell them on the LA at great prices. Here the link just click on the title keyword,cultivar select seller and key in Earlybird and enter her offerings will come up and you can look thru them. I think she has about four of them on there now.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Auction

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I have South Seas, an excellent plant in our garden, think you will be happy with that one. Here is a pic taken a few years ago. I don't have Snow Blizzard but I have seen the pictures and I love it, looks so pretty. Avedon

South Seas

• sann777
    10 years ago

You got a lot of great daylilies on Ebay. I have Snow Blizzard, a great double cream colored flower. I also have Sherry Lane Carr, Autumn Wood, and Absolute Treasure. Sherry Lane Carr is a great plant. I have had Roses in Snow since 2009, and have been a little disappointed in it. Good luck planting all those. Sarah

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So exciting to hear that you all grow some of these! I was worried when I was placing my orders :)

Wonderful picture, Avedon! Hopefully my South Seas looks that good in a couple of years. Sounds/looks like that ones a good one!

Sarah, I'll be sure to plant Roses in Snow on the side of my house just in case its not happy hear neither. I started planting today, but it was too hot and humid. I'm on vacation this week, so I'll slowly get them done over the next few days :)

Flowergardener...you're right! I just checked her auctions on The Lily Auction, and those are some GREAT prices! I might snatch up one of the smaller boxes. By the time they arrive, I should have all the ones above planted!

Tammy

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Tammy, I order from Carolina Belle all the time. She has great plants! I actually just got a shipment from her also. I got a few of the same ones you did.

Absolute Treasure
    Spring Event
    Orchid Corsage
    Shores of Time
    Enon
    Imperial Splendor
    Style Plus
    Jan's Twister
    Yazoo Jim Terry
    Annunciation
    Yazoo Souffle

My daylily season this year has been sort of meh due to a massive thrips invasion and a cooler than normal spring which prompted lots of disease. Hopefully next year will be better. :)

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to look up some of the ones you ordered Brittie :) Michelle seems so sweet! I'm sure I'll order from her again.

Tammy

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Tammy did you get any of the bargin boxes earlybird was offering on the lily auction? I know she has been adding some every so often as she digs orders....Betty

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did, Betty! I bought bargain box #12 which was all Kropf introductions :) My winning bid was $40.01 + shipping...not too shabby for over 64 fans! Thanks for telling me about it. I still have an outstanding bid for the Spiders box. I havne't ordered any spiders yet, so I figured that was a good way to get a nice selection. I work with a couple of people who are also getting into daylilies, so I'll share the extras with them.

Here's what my bargain box included:
    Bargain Box #12 contains:

AZTEC KING- 2F+

AZTEC WAYS- 5F+

DOUBLE BETTY HARDIN- 6F+

DOUBLE DOODAH- 2F+ (small)

GOLDVA KROPF- 12F+

MISTY MOONLIGHT- 8F+

SCARLET MARIE- 5F

SURPRISE SUNRISE- 10F

SWEET BY AND BY- 6F+

WIGGED OUT- 8F+

• dementieva
    10 years ago

Haha, WIGGED OUT is supposed to be a plant that mostly just makes proliferations that look like crazy green hair. I wouldn't plant it where anyone can see it until you've had a chance to see what it does.

Nate

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL...I know, I saw it while I was browsing her website the other day. I think I'll just use it as filler...but you gotta admit, it is pretty unique :)

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Way to go Tammy glad you got the Kropf cultivars. Good luck on the spiders....Betty