Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Keys to the Kingdom, a genie and more

shive
11 years ago

Here's a combination of pictures from yesterday.

KEYS TO THE KINGDOM - Surely Dan Hansen should get those keys after hybridizing something so uniquely beautiful.

COGNIZANT DISSONANT clump - The oldest Curt hanson cultivar I own, and still one of the best. It's putting up rebloom scapes!

LADY BETTY FRETZ with twins, looking a bit washed out in the afternoon heat. She's got a rebloom scape.

CAREFREE SUNSET up close and personal

Seedling Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise started out as a single fan this spring. When it scaped, it split into three fans. Now both side fans have scapes coming. I'm not sure whether to call this rebloom or not. With 17 buds and three branches, this is one of my two best performing seedlings.

GENIE IN A BOTTLE - Those cool night temps have brought a whole new palette to my garden. This cultivar has never looked like a polychrome before. Today it has yellow, peach and cream in its petals.

ZIPPORAH, another late with an ffo

FORSYTH VIVACIOUS with triplets

PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL reblooming!

Debra

Comments (14)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Yes, the more reblooms the better! Still like PATRICIA SNIDER MEMORIAL. I always seem to love that one. And I like red so I really have to love FORSYTH VIVACIOUS too. And I do! But my favorite today is LADY BETTY FRETZ. Doesn't look washed out to me, just looks so beautiful.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Forsyth Vivacious is a lovely shade of red and I love the slight white edge on that one. Lady Betty Fretz is my favorite. Your seedling is
    lovely and sounds like a great performer too.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful as always, Debra. Several very lovely ones make it hard to choose. I always love Patricia Snider Memorial, and re-bloom is sprecial. Forsyth Vivacious probably needs to come to my garden since I love reds so, and it is outstanding. The colors in Genie in a Bottle are haunting. Lovely. But the Cognizant Dissonant clump is my pick of the group.

• dipsandtets
    11 years ago

Thanks for photo of KTTK. I hadn't seen it before and love the sculpting.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I like KTTK, I like the sculpting too, probably because I don't have anything like it :) Very different. Your photos are all beautiful, I can't pick a favorite between them today.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rita and Val - The photograph of Lady Betty turned out better than the real flowers looked to the naked eye. The evening sun backlit Betty, making her blooms look brighter in the photo. I'm liking that one more each day. I almost lost that one two winters ago, but it seems to be thriving this year.

Kay - Cognizant Dissonant has made a pretty clump several days during the past week. The blooms have such pretty colors.

Dipsandtets and Ngraham - A lot of people don't care for the sculpted look. I guess we're in the minority. I think it's very cool and enhances the look of the bloom. KTTK has such incredible ruffles that it's an outstanding flower.

Debra

• deangreen
    11 years ago

forsyth V is really a great red, wow! nice pic.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow, DEBRA its gorgeous.They are all very pretty and I especially like the first one. forgot its name and dont want to backtrack :)That seedling is gorgeeous, too.

jean

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Forsyth Vivacious is really pretty. I seem to like a lot of flowers with Forsyth prefix. Then I also like Zipporah, and it's late! I don't know what the name means, but sounds interesting. And I like Lady Betty, love that look in the daylilies. Doesn't look washed out to me either.
    As for Keys to the Kingdom, I don't think I 'get' the sculpting yet, maybe because I've never seen it in person. But it's great to see progress in hybridizing, whatever they would "invent" next :)

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Wow they are all so very beautiful! My fav I think would be the red, maybe... They are all so mpretty it is hard to choose! Thank you, Rena'

• gothiclibrarian
    11 years ago

I love polychrome, so Genie in a Bottle looks great! Plants' response to weather is so interesting.

I really like KttK too...neat sculpting! I don't have any like that...hmmm...

Cheers!
    ~Anika

Here is a link that might be useful: GothicLibrarian.net

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Just when I think you can't post anything prettier than those in your prior post, you come back with even MORE stunning photos than ever. You sure have some impressive ones today, but I have come to expect when I see a post from you that there will be pictures to knock my socks off...LOL. First off, I love that sculpting on the first one. I don't have any like that but I love the look! I almost bought Carved Pumpkin Pie from Maryott in the fall because I liked the sculpted form, but didn't, and now I wish I had. I don't think he sells it anymore. Cognizant Dissonant is breathtaking in a clump! I think that photo should be in a magazine. I love that closeup of Carefree Sunset...WOW. Just gorgeous. Forsyth Vivacious is aptly named. I love that thin white edging on such a deep red.
    Patricia Snider Memorial is always picture-perfect. I have never seen a bad photo of it. Thanks for treating us to all this beauty today!

Celeste

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Keys to the Kingdom is special-- the sculpting is amazing. Am I seeing a hint of pink on the petals? LBF looks very vibrant to me.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean - Forsyth Vivacious always looks very rich and velvety.

Nat - A lot of the Forsyth flowers are unique and pretty. I only have three, but Kay has some of the newer ones. Zipporah is a Tim Bell introduction. It is named after the wife of Moses in the Bible.

Rena'- Thanks so much for your comments!

Anika - Daylilies certainly are affected by weather more than other flowers. I love the polychromes too!

Celeste - Thanks for commenting on so many of my flowers! Glad you like the pictures.

Chris - KTTK is a polychrome, so yes, you are seeing some peachy pink, along with yellow and cream. LBF is only vibrant because she is backlit by the sun in the photo.

Debra