Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprayed today for Thrips.

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 19:21

The only one of my fancy daylilies blooming now is Lava Flow and nothing else looks like it is gonna bloom that soon. Still I decided to spray already for thrips. I don't want any thrip damage on my blooms if I can help it so decided just to try and get ahead of any potential problems. I spray and about two weeks later, I spray again and that takes care of it. At least it has the past two years. Before that I didn't spray. But I don't like having the thrip damaged blooms.

And since I was spraying and it was rose spraying day (every two weeks) I sprayed the roses with the usual systemic fungicide mixed with Neptunes Liquid Fertilizer.

I use Bonide Systemic Insect Control for the Thrips and Bonide Systemic Desease Control for the roses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprayed today for Thrips.

If your winter has been warm, prepare to spray more than usual.
kay

o

Yes, it has been a very mild winter. Maybe I will have to spray a third time. We will see.

o

Do they have those Bonide Systemics at big-box stores? I use some insecticidal soap, doesn't seem to help.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 2:42

Because of our unusually warm spring, my daylilies exploded with spider mites in early spring. I had to spray with AVID, which coincidently enough kills adult Thrips. Haven't had much damage to my daylilies from Thrips since. Fingers cross....Maryl

o

Thank you for the information, Rita. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, well, it would be helpful to know what products she uses, and then :) you told us!

Nat4b, check the link below, it is a product locator for Bonide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonide product locator

o

Oddly, I haven't seem much in the way of thrips this year, and normally splotchy daylilies have looked the best they ever have. We certainly have plenty of other insects though after that warm winter.

o

Rita, our pest control man who sprays for me said I'd only have to spray once for thrips. He was so wrong! Even though we sprayed twice, I still see some creeping in now.

Thanks for the Bonide tip!

Nancy

o

Good thing I did all my spray programs yesterday as today there are a few sprinkles. Nothing really, just enough to wet the folliage and that means one could not spray as these products have to be able to dry on the plant in order to work.

I don't see how an only once spray program would ever work. I always wait the two weeks and spray again. This year it is possible I might have to spray the third time because other years scapes have been further along (higher) and buds more developed when I first sprayed. But we will see.

When you spray, always do the buds as that is where the thrips do their damage. But also do the folliage.

Honestly, I don't know where to get the Bonide products locally as I buy mine on line. Usually at Amazon.com.

Maryl, I am not familiar with AVID so can't comment on it.

o

Do systemics work for thrips?

o

Yes, the Bonide Insect Spray is systemic. Those buggers hide inside even on closed blooms so if you don't use a systemic it is very difficult to get rid of them.

o

Can't buy it locally here no where.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here