Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What animals eat daylilies, besides deer?

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 19:43

Just the flower buds at the very tip-top of the scapes on a lot of my daylilies have been "lopped" off leaving a white stump - by some critter, I assume. No leaves have been eaten. They also got the flowers (no leaves) off my dwarf summer phlox.
But they didn't touch the hostas which are right next door, which seems odd because I thought deer loved to eat hosta - if they were deer. Also they didn't bother the roses nearby. We had a dog which we lost 2 years ago - I guess she kept these critters at bay. Too bad these marauders can't be trained to deadhead the spent blooms only; that would be great, LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What animals eat daylilies, besides deer?

Sue it sounds like deer. In the spring they ate my leaves as they were emerging. But, last week, just the buds on one of my dl's, my strawberry plants and leaves off my cherry trees. Didn't touch my hostas right next to the DL or any of my roses. I was lucky they only ate the buds off one of my noids and the buds from one scape on the dl next to it. There were hoof prints in the mud where I had watered the night before so I'm positive it was deer.

I mix 2 eggs with a gallon of water and mist my dl's once every other week. Seems to be working.... Knock on wood.

Andrea

o

Rabbits and possum do that here.

o

Andrea - thanx for the egg recipe - I'll give it a try. Sounds like a cheap, quick fix!!
Shive - I guess it could be rabbits or possums, maybe our cat needs to get on the job!!

o

That is what the deer do to mine too.. I have been alternating Milorganite with the egg mixture as they seem to get "used" to one after a week or two. When it is calling for rain, I use the milorganite which you can find at Lowes.

o

Thanx for the info, "dayliliesrus"!

o
RE: Milorganite

Thanx for the info, "dayliliesrus"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here