Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Using Integrated Logistics on Starbase Alpha

shive
10 years ago

Mantis often asks about cultivar performance in my garden. This is the face of peak performance in my garden this season. It's looked like this for almost a week.

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS

Here's another one that always has a good run, be it drought, 110 degree temperatures, or too much shade.

BALI WATERCOLOR

HILLBILLY HEART is another plagued by too much shade. But it always gives me the nicest clumps.

Another good performer, with stellar branching and buds on tall scapes, is Sandy Holmes' STROLLING IN THE ROSES

AUGUST GROOM has wonderful plant habits and huge fluffly blooms.

OPEN DOOR is doing well this year.

WILLOW DEAN SMITH has fabulous scapes and a face that could launch a thousand ships. This is the ffo.

ANNETTE'S MAGIC - Still in a pot, but tremendous increase and fabulous fringe.

BLAZING SADDLES, wonderfully gorgeous, still in a pot and worked hard every year attempting with little success to set pods in the shade.

STARBASE ALPHA has leathery blooms that are pinched in the throat. Something of a novelty, Moldovan introduced it with only 10 to 15 buds per scape and knowing the blooms took two days to open. Here it has 5 buds per scape. It is grown in a pot with very poor soil. I'm crossing it with Integrated Logistics.

Debra

Comments (15)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

BALI WATERCOLOR is a pretty daylily in itself, but it really makes a statement in a clump, doesn't it. I have Hillbilly Heart too, & it is really a busy little daylily. I say little, but it has nice sized flowers, just a rather short plant. Lots of nice daylilies in your garden!

• User
    10 years ago

I really like Bali Watercolor and Blazing Saddles. Can you tell that I have a preference for purples?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Hillbilly Heart tends to short here, too. I thought it was because it was in too much shade and surrounded in the spring by weeds.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

You have so many gorgeous ones today, Debra. Bali Watercolor is especially colorful and beautiful. I Really like August Groom.Strolling in the roses is a really beautiful choice. Hillbilly Heart is so colorful, and Willow Dean Smith is so lovely and delicate What a lovely group you hqve today.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Awesome colors, Debra. INTEGRATED LOGISTICS and BALI WATERCOLOR are outstanding. Your HILLBILLY HEART is like mine -- low to the ground. Since ours is in full sun, I don't think shade is the issue.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kay!

Nancy - So your. Hillbilly Heart is short too? I remember mine being taller the first couple of years I had it.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

all are just beautiful..Love willow dean sith..oh me, I got to go to bed.I am exhausted and having to keep backing up to correct mistakes and fill in letters thast didn't print/ love thema ll debra.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I prod you to give performance info because I know what a wealth of information you have. Of course, what performs in one garden may not in another. Does anyone have experience with Blazing Saddles farther north? Impressive clump of Integrated Logistics!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, after several years of being sold, Ladybug Daylilies is offering Blazing Saddles again.

Debra

• polymerous
    10 years ago

I recently bought WILLOW DEAN SMITH from the LA (it hasn't arrived yet). Your picture has now got me really anxious to get it!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Debra, my Hillbilly Heart has always been very short, so I put it right by my sidewalk. I think it is supposed to be 26", I have't measured, but it isn't anywhere near that, more like 18". It has multiplied like mad, blooms wonderfully, but quite short. Possibly because it doesn't get sun after 1:00?

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love, love, love the first two clump shots. But my favorite is STROLLING IN THE ROSES. Wow, what a beauty.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Polymerous - You will love Willow Dean!

Rita - If I can just keep the thrips at bay, Strolling in the Roses is a stunner.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

My HILLBILLY HEART is short too,and its in the hot sun all day, no shade here for it.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - That's interesting that so many of us have short scapes on Hillbilly Heart.

Debra

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living