Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Past couple of days - blooms

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

This is what has been blooming today and the last 2 days.

MOTH TO A FLAME - new last year and I'm happy with it. Tall scapes, holds up in the rain (which we've had a lot of)and producing alot of scapes and buds.

BALLERINA ON ICE - I moved it last fall to a new location to give it more room and it has produced several scapes and looks to have enough buds too.

BLUEBIRD SKY - just so so and it needs to be moved. it is sitting up against a bee balm plant. I still love the bloom color.

OTTIS MAGIC - always a good performer but when it has too many buds, it hangs up.

DEEP IN MY HEART - short scape, no increase and I think this one will leave this year. Maybe it needs a hotter climate than here.

LUNAR MAX - is in scape and bud overdrive.

GRETA GRAPETTE - a trooper. I love the eye on it.

MOUNT ECHO SUNRISE - new last fall and the finches are having a field day playing on the scape. Now it is leaning and I'll have to prop it so it will go back up straight again.

I found out today that one of the plants I got last spring is not what I had purchased as it had its first bloom today. What a disappointment and now I'll have to move it out of the garden to the land of NOID's.

I'll stop here. I'm beat. First day in awhile that we could work the whole day outside and no rain. Weeds are on the rebound too.

Julia

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

What beautiful photographs, Julia! Good grief, look at the buds on Lunar Max! Little Grapette couldn't be any prettier. Ottis Magic and Bluebird Sky are both lovely. What is the purple in the background of the last photo? It looks great with it.

All that being said, You would guess that I would be drawn to Moth To a Flame. Since I love oranges and brights, that one is a beauty.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

It looks like Lunar Max is going to have a good long run. Greta Grapette is very cute!

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I really like Greta Grapette and Moth to a Flame! My Ballerina on Ice did well in the country before the big move, but it has sulked now for a couple of years. It has now decided it likes where it stays and has started blooming better. Some just don't like to be moved!

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get what you purchased. I have two like yours now growing in our garden that definitely turned out to be the wrong cultivar after waiting until the next season's blooms to find it out. One is quite nice and the other has to go to make room for better things. I wish I had kept better records of which vendor they came from.

Nancy

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I like Greta Grapette, too. And Lunar Max looks like a terrific performer. As a matter of fact, I see tons of buds on most of your plants.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow.Lunar max is loaded with buds. looks great. I love BALLERINA ON ICE and also OTTIS MAGIC very pretty.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Moth to a Flame is recurved like a spider web; I like it. It's especially frustrating to northern gardeners when plants are not true to name, since we usually have to wait at least a year.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Moth To The Flame is very striking, really like it. Lunar Max should give you lots of blooms, good bud count on it for sure. Really like Greta Grapette, you are right, great eye on it, and even the name is cute--LOL!!! Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The flower behind Mount Echo Sunrise is lavender. It s a huge plant that I started from seed 2 years ago. In fact, I should go and snip some and dry it. Honey bees have been going crazy for it.

I have a couple more plants from the same seller that will bloom for the first time here so hopefully I've got the right ones. I did contact the seller and refunding my monies. I do keep all my records of plant purchases.

More to come. Looks like more rain today :-(.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

You may be tired after a day working in the garden but I bet you got a lot done. Always a great feeling when you have gotten a lot done. MOTH TO A FLAME is my favotite here but you gotta love that clump of LUNAR MAX. I love it when those daylilies prove to be excellent garden flowers on top of lovely blooms.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Ballerina on Ice, Moth to a Flame and Ottis Magic are my favorites today, and I like your pictures!
    I'm glad you posted about Deep In My Heart. My SIL moved and I wanted to take a couple of her dls, including DIMH. Pretty flower but I might reconsider adding it.
    Sorry you got the mislabeled plant. Did the seller tell you what it might be? Do you want to post a pic maybe somebody can ID it?
    Oh, weeds :( They are just awful this year, most probably because of last year's drought. We've never seen SO many, like a thick carpet, so difficult to keep beds clean

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

My favorite is GRETA GRAPETTE. The fact that she polys is a bonus for me. BALLERINA ON ICE is a nice one. Marg

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Moth to a Flame is my favorite by far. What a beauty!