Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Where to buy?

TNY78
10 years ago

Where are your favorite places to buy daylilies? When I search, I'm only coming up with places like Springhill and Michigan Bulb. I'm sure there's some speciality sellers out there! I'm just venturing into the world of daylilies after being rose obsessed for the past 5 years (well, I'm still rose obsessed), and I know there must be wonderful daylily nurseries online like there are rose nurseries. I just can't seem to find them!

Thanks for your help :)

Tammy

Comments (14)

• FlowerGardener
    10 years ago

Here is the link to Charlotte's Daylily Diary it list the websites of lots of sellers...Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlotte's Daylily Diary

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I can assure you that Spring Hill and Michigan bulb are not favorites here. If you look back at old posts you will see a lot of places mentioned. Bill Maryott and Blueridge and Marietta Gardens and the hybridizers thermselves.

Also, the Lily
    auction is a good place...and a good place to wind up buying more than you meant to buy:)
    have fun.
    kay

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Betty and Kay :)

I figured Spring Hill and MI Bulb were the same for daylilies as they are roses...not for the true enthusiests. I'll have to scroll back through some of the older posts and do some investigating.

I ran across the Lily Auction and meant to ask about it. I kind of like the idea. You're right, I bet I would end up with more purchases than I meant to, but that wouldn't be anything new!

Tammy

• darobi2459
    10 years ago

I recommend finding out more about forms that you like in DL, it wouldnt be a bad idea to have "what im looking for "mentality before stepping into the addictive world of the LA :) In your zone you are probably looking for semi evergreens and evergreens mostly btw. Happy hunting!

• sann777
    10 years ago

I have bought some from Shaw's Sunshine Garden and, of course, the Lily Auction. If you can buy from the same Seller on LA, you will save on Shipping costs. Sarah

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info about the evergreens and semi evergreens! That is helpful :)

Sarah, I haven't run across Shaw's yet, I'll have to check them out!

We have Oakes Daylilies about 45 minutes from here, and they're having an open garden event the end of this month that I'm going to attend with a co-worker. I think that will also give me a good idea of what does well here. I only have about 5 currently, but I'm adding more to fill in the gaps between and under my roses...I can't wait to see it!

Tammy

• shive
    10 years ago

I would recommend Brown's Ferry Gardens and Daylily Haven Gardens as good sources with very reasonable prices. I started with Oakes years ago, and they sell very healthy plants, although their prices on older cultivars are too high, in my opinion. I have bought from all the other sources recommended on this thread and would give them all positive reviews.

Debra

• Ed
    10 years ago

Here's a link to your AHS Regions source list. Of course, there's also Daylily World in Kentucky, which would be a great destination for a road trip!
    Have fun,
    Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Region 10 sources

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Generally, if you can see a plant performance in person, you will in the long run be more satisfied. The world of daylilies is filled with misleading (fraudulent?) pictures. Of course, you don't have to buy the plant where you see it.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

So many good sellers on the Lily Auction! Too numerous to name....Blueridge, Goldcoast, Westend come to mind.....just find what you like and buy - I have never found a seller on the auction that wasnt good.

Browns Ferry, Memory Jordan, Mark Carpenter - and locate daylily farms that might be near you and go to visit......

I, too, am into roses. Now, in addtion to the rose pot ghetto, I have a daylily pot ghetto. And wait til you start dabbing pollen and raising seed......Start building more beds now! Have fun!
    Judith

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I totally agree with the Maryotts recommendation, probably my favorite source. I also like Sunset Meadow Daylily Farm (good prices).
    Don't have any experience with LA - I'm afraid :D (that I spend too much).
    Sorry can't 2nd Browns Ferry. The worst looking bareroots I've ever seen. I didn't even put markers when I planted them, sure enough they didn't survive

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I wouldn't recommend for anyone fairly new to daylilies to start with the lily auction. Shipping costs will clobber you before you know it. You never know how many plants you will end up buying from a particular seller, and multiple shipping from multiple sellers (where you buy one or two plants) quickly adds up. Nor do you have an opportunity to change your mind as you mull over your order. Of course, some people don't care what they spend and are happy to spend compulsively. Many of the growers recommended here are excellent.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow! what a great response! I see this forum is filled just as many enablers as the rose forums (on which I've happily enabled quite a few people myself haha). I have around 700 varieties of roses, so I figure why not broaden my horizons a bit and learn something about growing daylilies as well (Ive also ordered a few iris for delivery this summer). There's nothing wrong with being well rounded, right?

Tammy

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I've had good experience with Brown's Ferry (Heidi and Charles Douglas), Blue Ridge (Selman), Maryotts, Crintonic (Curt Hanson), Thoroughbred (Rice), Partridge Hill (Laprise), Judy Davisson, Slightly Different Nursery(Paul Owen), Harmon Hill (Carl Harmon),Knoll Cottage (Lori Jones), Springwood Gardens(Karol Emmerich), The Lily Farm (Carpenter), Woodhenge(Reed/Murphy).
    I'm sure I'm missing some and others are too new yet to recommend. I'm always trying new hybridizers. What it comes down to is what forms, height, etc your looking for, what grows best in your zone and what your willing to pay. I've changed from buying on the auction to going directly to hybridizers to purchase.

Browse some sites, try to visit some local places. Good luck. Hope you find that special one.

Julia