Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Golliwog Pictures and Info + More DL Pics

avedon_gw
10 years ago

For those of you who have asked questions about Golliwog, I will try to answer as best I can. It was planted in the fall of 2011 and did really well last year's bloom season for a brand new plant. The scapes were much shorter than registered, but I expected that. This year the scapes are up to 25" and that's good, only took that one year of growth to achieve the listed height. Here are some pictures:

This is a clump shot that shows the scapes. You can see how many it has. I think there may be about sixteen or so. Something I haven't done and should do is a bud count,

Another view-- I am on the opposite side. The buds may show up better in this shot.

This is a picture I took last year. You can see that the scapes are much shorter, but there are quite a few buds. I liked this pic because the flowers were backlit by the sun.

Golliwog Twins--also from last year.

Now I am posting some multiple or clump shots of DLS that have been seen before, but I thought these were nice to look at.

Midnight Magic much better color on this picture than the first one.

Small World Snow Owl bloomed four BIG ones today

Clump Shot Leebea Orange Crush

Destined To See Quads

Persian Market Triplets

Bodacious Returns Clump

WB Mom's Cinnamon Rolls Twins

Second bloom on Star Child

Closing out with "Bold Tiger Lookalike" blooming eight in a row.

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very pretty and very good shots of all of them! Bold tiger lookalike never has a bad shot, does it? Star child is just a beauty. Golliwog is an impressive plant! that's a lot of scapes! That photo from last year has a soft lovely color. You don't have a bad picture in the bunch. all are lovely.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Just wonderful Avedon. I loved looking at all of them and thanks for the info on Golliwog. Looks like you have a winner with that one. And I can see from your second pic your garden is booming with color.

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the glamour shots of Golliwog. I had it briefly, but mistakenly shipped it to a customer as something else. I knew from your other photo that the scapes had a lot of buds this time. Your clump shots are real eye candy.The Destined to See quartet is my favorite of those. I noticed my clump of Destined To See has really nice side branching this season. In the previous 6-7 years it's only had top branching. I must have fertilized it at just the right time this year!

Debra

• sann777
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful. I part. like Mom's Cinnamon Rolls and that Star Child has a unique look doesn't it? Sarah

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Love Destined To See and the whole eight! Bold Tiger lookalikes, and the very favorite is W Mom's Cinnamon Rolls, it's gorgeous (and tasty name ;)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

What's not to like? Westbournes Mom's Cin. Rolls is a great picture, and you know how much I like your Star Child. Maybe it's the yellow, Bodacious Returns. I have my thing for yellow. Leebea Orange Crush catches my eye too. Heck, they are all winners.....Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I agree with Maryl they are all winners in my book.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes....I love more GOLLIWOG pictures! What's not to love? Not only is it unique & gorgeous but look at all those scapes and buds! Wish my Earlybird order would hurry up and come.....I still can't plant out my Golliwog. I'm worried that my order is going to come when DD is in labor, which is any day now. It's a BIG order so I guess they'll sit in buckets for awhile if that happens.
    All your daylilies look ravishing and so healthy and neatly mulched. Of course Golliwog is my favorite but there are so many others that could be second. Love those clump shots! W. Mom's Cinnamon Rolls and Bold Tiger lookalike are my next picks. I'm sure I will come back and look again & again for the pretty eyecandy.

Celeste

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Picture 3 is perfectly proportioned and illuminated. Mom's Cinnamon Rolls is very interesting. When I google it, I notice a lot of variation in pics in terms of the russet coloring.

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Avedon, I have Golliwog and think it a special one. Not bright in color but it makes a lovely clump..
    I like WB's MCR. Lovely...Ellie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?