Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering at night vs in the morning

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 20:40

Does it really matter? I've been watering at night, if I have to, because it's cooler then and I need to use a sprinkler so if some blooms get wet it doesn't matter because their day is done. (some of mine look awful after getting wet, others look the same)

I know with some plants it's best to water in the morning because they need to dry off but daylilies don't seem to be affected.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering at night vs in the morning

Mother nature doesn't seem to care what time she waters! That's the way I look at it. Really, a lot of times we have rain with the heat of the day, or in the evening, and I've never noticed a problem.
However, I know many will say that diseases can result from watering at night, and I do notice that slugs like daylilies too!
I water when I have the time. If I have the time early in the morning, great, if not, then when I can.
I say it's up to you :)

Cathy

o

I figure it rains at all times, so we could water at all times. I never water roses at night because it might prompt black spot, but I don't know about problems of that sort with day lilies.
kay

o

When we're at peak bloom and a lot of visitors are here, I never water in the morning as it damages the blooms. Before there are a lot of blooms though, I do water in the AM - same thing when it's after peak and visitors aren't expected.

o

I've always read to water in the morning to avoid disease, but my personal opinion is that the water has more time to absorb into the plant overnight before the heat condenses it. I water everything at night with no problem "yet".

o

I have so many that I water some in the morning and some in the evening. I don't notice a difference. I know hybridizers in the deep south water in the afternoon. They want their plants dry by night to avoid disease. But I think in your climate, night watering shouldn't be a problem.

Debra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here