Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Late bloomers starting here

shive
16 years ago

The late bloomers have started here,and many of the EM bloomers are done. Here are a few of my favorite lates.

WAVES BECOME WINGS

{{gwi:671916}}

AUGUST FROST

ONE DREAMER

ANGEL RODGERS

TECHNY PEACH LACE

You can view more of my late bloomers here:

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa213/shive_photo/Late%20Blooming%20Daylilies/

Debra in Nashville, TN

Comments (21)

• janepa
    16 years ago

Debra your DLs are beautiful. Waves Become Wings is now on my 'need' list.
    Thanks for sharing. Jane

• tjhemmer
    16 years ago

Debra you have some nice looking daylilies in your album. Love many of them. Keep the pics coming.

Tom

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

beautiful,I love that last one.Looks like a one I have with no name on it that was given to me last year.Gorgeous.

Jean

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

Those are really lovely of course, but I guess from the title on the post, all are "listed" as late season bloomers, which brings to mind how much our seasons may vary in actual calendar dates, as far as those bloom seasons go, and though I'm not sure mine are all listed as perhaps "M" or midseason ones, it seems they all bloom from the last week in June to early August or midsummer here, so that would make them "M" or midseason ones? Our latest ones here wouldn't start blooming til late August perhaps here in southeastern MI. I guess I should do some research to find out the listed bloom seasons for mine , though I never paid attention to that for years, and always go by appearance, when I order new ones, and that's proven to make for a short daylily season in my gardens. As for "rebloomers" I have neither irises that ever do so or daylilies that do so, regardless of the descriptions saying they are supposed to be rebloomers, the one exception of course being StelaD'Oro, which only puts out just a very few second blooms in my garden. It seems my very old September Gold , which should flower later, always seems to flower in August, though the name might hint otherwise!

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bird in the Palm - You probably have some that bloom early to mid, along with midseason bloomers. It is amazing how bloom times vary based on zone. In Florida, their season starts at the end of April. My daylilies start here at the end of May and go through early July, with some reblooming in August through early November.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more late bloomers from today.

MISTER BUBBLES

UNITY CONSCIOUSNESS

LATER ALLIGATOR

Debra

• gdionelli
    16 years ago

Debra, I like your picture of One Dreamer much better than the Song Sparrow website photo! It's immediately recognizable as one of Brother Charles'. Techny Breeze just started a day or two ago for me, and my Techny Peach Lace still only has small buds.

Waves become Wings is just lovely.

• okbt
    16 years ago

I like Mister Bubbles. Looks like the same pink as the box! lol
    Like Bird in the Palm, I am struck by the seasonal variation of this Country. You are finishing your bloom season in Z6,and I am just beginning in Z4. What a vast land we live in.
    Thanks for all of your sharing,Debra.I hope you still have a few more blooms to pull out of your hat!

Betsy

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I am always surprised by the difference in bloom times between zone 6/7 down south like Debra in Tenessee and bloom times here in zone 6/7 on Long Island, New York.

Now true I don't have that many Daylilies that were not bought this spring but I still do have some. My mass planting of old yellow daylilies just started blooming two days ago. My SpellBinder and Rocket City Daylilies I bought locally last year have scapes but no where near blooming. Same for Lime Frost, Joleyne Nichol and Wineberry Candy, also bought potted locally and planted last year. Bold Tiger is just starting to put up scapes, bought last year locally too. Last of all only one of my unknown daylilies planted here for years has bloomed starting about 5-6 days ago. All the other old stuff interplanted in my rose gardens are full of scapes but not near blooming.

The exception to this rule is Black eyed Stella, which has been blooming up a storm for about two weeks now. Plus the Ditch lilies are and have been blooming.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

Love your daylilies...Looking at everyones beautiful daylilies makes me wish I had room for all of them :)

• juliet11
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing your album of late bloomers! You've got so many pretty ones, especially Angel Rogers, Techny Peach Lace and One Dreamer.

Juliet

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gdionelli - Maybe Song Sparrow needs to hire me as the official photographer LOL. I just love that Reckamp glow.

Betsy - It's been a long time since I've seen Mister Bubbles bubblebath, but I bet Mimi Schwarz named her daylily that because the color was a match for the Mister Bubbles box. Good insight.

Rita - It does seem crazy that we are in the same zone. My daylilies were early this year. Blame it on global warming. They even beat the daylilies in Zone 8.

Mike and Barb - I thought I had room for a lot more daylilies than I do. That's why a lot of them are still in pots. I wish it would cool down so I finish digging my two new beds.

Debra

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

More beautiful pictures! What a treat they are to see!

I am shocked to see that I have one blooming at the same time as you...lol...yours are usually ahead of me (maybe yours has been blooming already, though)...as my August Frost had its ffo today (which I thought was early for it). Techny Peace Lace has not begun to bloom, nor Later Alligator.

Newyorkrita, my sister also lives in a zone 7, but eight hours south of me...and things bloom much earlier for her. When I visit in March, the daffodils blooming around her will be probably mid to lates blooming and my earlies will just be beginning when I get home.

Shoot, even just a half hour south of me, where I volunteer garden, things are usually at least a week ahead of me.

I've heard Andre Viette (on the radio) talk about the difference from where they used to live on Long Island to where they live in VA now...much different, yet same zone.

It boggles the mind, doesn't it!

Btw, I think of the lates, for me, at least, as starting when Sandra Elizabeth starts...although last year that wasn't such a good predictor as I had newbies blooming out of normal sequence.

Our regional is next weekend and I would guess the gardens on tour for it are zone 6ers.

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GG - My AUGUST FROST started blooming on Tuesday so that's pretty close to when yours started. I don't have SANDRA ELIZABETH, so I consider it to be true late season when TECHNY PEACE starts blooming. This is the first year PARADISE CITY has really bloomed late. It took it three years to get off that Florida schedule.

Here are a couple other lates that I really enjoy.

CHARLIE

DESIREE

Debra

• sharon_can
    16 years ago

I'm in 6b as well and amazed and envious that someone in that zone is up to late bloomers already. I have only had daylilies blooming for a few days, except for the teeny ones like Stella d'Oro and even those have only been out a week or so.

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon,
    Officially the Zone Map was changed this year, and where I am is now in Zone 7. I just haven't changed the Zone designation here.

Debra

• gdionelli
    16 years ago

Definitely Song Sparrow could use your skills! Love that photo of Charlie.

Debra, what are your favorite Reckamps? The only ones I have are Techny Breeze, Techny Peach Lace, Fragrant Bouquet, and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait. Oh, and Butter Curls - but it's not the typical polychrome. I'd love to have a couple more (yea, like I have any more room... but I always find room for just one more...)

• shive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gdionelli - My first Reckamp was TECHNY PEACE. I've had it for about five years now. It's beautiful, fragrant and sometimes reblooms. But it doesn't increase here. I've still got the same 4 fans I originally got from Oakes. I have the three shown here, which increase a bit better than TP. This year I added FRAGRANT BOUQUET, HEAVENLY STARDUST, RUFFLED STRAWBERRY PARFAIT and HARVEST MOTH. Of the four, only HARVEST MOTH has put up a scape. It probably will start blooming by next weekend. My husband thinks I'm crazy to keep buyig them because "they all look alike." While they do look similar, there are subtle differences in color and shape of the blooms. On looks alone, CHARLIE would probably be my favorite. But unlike the others, it's not an early morning opener. I find I have little patience for those late sleepers. TECHNY PEACH LACE has the best branching and bud count, but doesn't bloom very long because so many of the buds open at once. TECHNY PEACE has the best fragrance, and it does rebloom when it gets enough water. But then there's the problem with increase. I think my favorite will end up being the one that gives me a tall UF polychrome seedling with teeth.

Debra

• gdionelli
    16 years ago

Thank you, Debra! Techny Breeze also tends to take its time in the morning - but the nice thing is that in the evening when everything else is wilting it looks fresh and perky. Both it and Techny Peach Lace have been slow to increase for me. I just got Fragrant Bouquet and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait this spring - RSP has a scape now, but it will still probably be a couple of weeks.

I know, they're all similar, but I just love that look!

• mizellie
    16 years ago

Debra, WBW and AF are my current pics. You have some lovely dls and I really dread the off season. That's one of the reasons I am waiting to post my pics. I did post a couple tonight but I have taken hundreds of pictures and am having a time organizing them. So when I have time, I get to look at yours. Now don't quit, just keepem comin...Ellie

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Well, complaining about no flowers must have done it. My Wineberry Candy and S Double Classic both have flowers open today. Plus some of my unknowns are blooming too. Must be Daylily weather!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor