Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planterjake

Constant Blooming Daylilies

planterjake
15 years ago

Are there any other varieties of Daylilies that bloom all season. Are there differnt types of Stella d'oro?

Thanks,

Jake

Comments (23)

• jakejones
    15 years ago

Look for "rebloom" or recurrent scapes in descriptions.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Hi, I have a shorter lily called Carefree Peach that blooms all summer. And Happy Returns. They bloom in flushes throughout the summer. There is also one called Rosy Returns I have seen at our local nursery thats suppose to bloom all summer and I have seen a purple stella advertised on some site but not sure if it exist. Judy

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

As I tell people up here in the North, where rebloom can be unreliable.... buy some early blooming daylilies, mid-season bloomings daylilies, and late blooming daylilies and then you'll actually have different daylilies blooming all season long.

• noeyw
    15 years ago

My Stella is in almost constant bloom. I also have a Black-eyed Stella that is almost as prolific. I have also seen a purple Stella available online, though I don't own it.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Jake,

Once my 'Pardon Me' gets going in mid July, it blooms non-stop until frost kills it. (Out performs Stella d'oro!)

Julie

• Lee Ann Holzen Sommer
    15 years ago

Sue,

Your Daylilies are beautiful. You should be very proud!
    Thanks for the photo.
    Lee Ann

• gnomey
    15 years ago

Wow, Stella Supreme needs to be on my wish list. I've seen the purple stella for sale, but I don't have it.

• bloomincrazy
    15 years ago

I have a little peach and yellow bytone called prairie blossoms that starts before stella and keeps blooming thru sept. It's very pretty. Also Bitsy..a small yellow flower. It blooms above the foliage more than stella and is more sparce blooming than stella, but it blooms everyday from late may until frost. I'm in Ontario.
    Ange

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I've had purple d'oro for several years, frankly I've never been impressed with its reblooming. It does rebloom some, but not like Stella.

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Does Rosy Returns rebloom better than purple d'oro? Can anybody comment?

• weldontx
    15 years ago

Agree with ngraham about purple d'oro. It does NOT bloom well. The others listed would be better.

Weldon

• Waitforspring
    15 years ago

I agree with Julie about Pardon Me. It's one of those that I will always grow. Thought I had a picture, but can't find one.
    Some other long bloomers are
    May May
    {{gwi:817811}}

Sunny Honey
    {{gwi:817812}}

and Stella's Ruffled Fingers
    {{gwi:817813}}

• excuria
    15 years ago

I've had Rosy Returns in my yard for about 8 years or so - it was one of my first daylily purchases. It does bloom almost all of my summer as long as I keep hitting it with the Hooker formula. If I do not fertilize it, it will rest and then rebloom later in the summer, but not as full.
    Renee

• ladypat1
    15 years ago

Ok Renee and others! What is the "Hooker" formula of fertilizer? I have seen this mentioned a couple of times here. Does anyone have the recipe? Does it work? Thanks, Pat

• excuria
    15 years ago

Hi LadyPat: The Hooker formula is a concoction developed by an earlier breeder. The original formula involved 15 gallons of water and a toxic ingredient for pests. I sorta modified it to a more managable amount and I leave out the pesticide:
    5 gallons of water
    1/3 cup of any balanced water-soluable general fertilizer
    1/3 cup of liquid iron
    1/3 cup epsom salts
    1/3 cup of liquid fish emulsion
    keep stirring as you use it (cause the stuff settles) and use it immediately - pour about a cup around each plant. I will use a little more around a big clump and I always water my plants first before I apply the formula

Hope this helps - also I use this on my gardenias and they bloom like crazy!
    Renee

• frank27603
    15 years ago

My 'Bitsy' bloomed over and over last summer and I didn't give it any special treatment or fertilizer...shame on me I know! I can't find any photos at the moment, but she is a pretty light yellow color.

-Frank

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

excuria, questions!

What is liquid iron? where to get? and how often do you use it?

Thanks
    Linda

• excuria
    15 years ago

I think it is called "chelated" iron - and spelling has never been my strong point. But it is a liquid that you can find at most garden stores and is not expensive, usually less than $10.00 for a bottle. I first use it around the first of May and then every 6 weeks through blooming season.

Renee

• Linda G (zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Renee, thanks! my daylilies are mixed in with the rest of the perennials (kinda - it's hard to explain) would the formula work for every one else too?

Linda

• floota
    15 years ago

I have mixed the Hooker formula and used it for years. Like someone mentioned, I also omit the Pesticide. The Hooker Formula was originally designed for roses, wasn't it? Fair warning though, that Fish Emulsion is some of the NASTIEST smelling stuff you could ever imagine. A couple of times, I found that it attracted skunks, who would dig around plants trying to get at the "fish", creating a whole other set of problems!

• hosenemesis
    15 years ago

Thanks for the list of great daylilies and Hooker's Formula.
    Renee

• ldeachus
    15 years ago

I bought a pink Stella named "On and On' from Park Seed (who are sold out now). It is beautiful. Bloomed for the longest time. They have introduced a new word "everblooming" to describe these all season daylilies.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living