Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Blooms that the thunderstorms didn't ruin

celeste/NH
10 years ago

We have been having very strong thunderstorms every evening that have taken a toll on my roses which are (were) at their peak bloom. I'm grateful for the heavy rain which means I won't have to drag the hoses around for hours to water everything but the blooms on the old roses are so fragile, they look like wet tissue paper now.
Oh, and I found my first japanese beetle today munching on a bloom so soon they'll take over everything....ugh.
I can't wait until my daylilies start blooming which will be in July (lots of scapes showing) but here's a few pictures of other things blooming in my gardens which the rains didn't completely destroy.

Celeste

My earliest asiatic lily to bloom. It is called Tiny Todd but it really isn't very tiny. It's planted against the house.

The marker for this asiatic faded years ago, forgot the name....

Crested Sweetheart rose....bred by Ralph Moore

Roguchi clematis, love these little blue bells dangling gracefully from the vines......

Bonnie Holley (I've shown it before, it was a 'cheat' Mayrott bloomer from fall-planting & thinks it's in California still....blooms are improving)

Left border by the road........

Right border by the road this year....

(Over the winter, DD's ex-boyfriend drove his car into this border and took out some rosebushes while driving drunk and totally missing our driveway, so I will post both pictures to show that I had to rebuild the wall and replace destroyed plants....ugh)

Right border by the road from last year

roses (rugosas and explorers)

Marchesa Boccella, old rose

Comments (12)

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I could never tell by looking at the front yard rose border that it had been damaged and had to be patched. You have done a fabulous job. It looks wonderful in both this years and last years photos.

So sorry that the Japanese Beetles are arriving again to ruin your beautiful roses. You really do have one of the most beautiful gardens that I have ever seem.

I love those lilies. Both very beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

The roses and lilies are absolutely beautiful, Celeste.
    The JBs have been their usual worthless selves here for the last month. It is terrible to think of them getting into your roses.I was so annoyed with two pair today, that I just reached over and smashed them. My soapy water bucket was in back.

They are hateful pests.
    kay

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

gee, aint their some kind of spray you can get to kill them beetles? and another question, did you call the police and get that exBF arrested and make him pay for damages?That is just terrible.I can not stand drunks.. your rosses are so beautiful.I just hate for beetles to come destroy all your hard work and its so beautiful now..That ex should have sat in jail for a long time, too. oh well, enough of that, your lilies are beautiful. too and so is that lone daylily, beautiful.You sure built that border back to its original beauty.Thank you so much for the gorgeous pictures, celeste. I love them.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Everything is so pretty!

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful flowers! Blue bell looking clematis is very pretty. That Sweetheart rose is just packed with petals! Love the border pics, sorry about your destroyed plants and damaged border :( I like those dark red with yellow center flowers in the pic with the flags. Wow the last rose is so beautiful, and looks like a peony.
    Oh, no the beetles are there already :((

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The repaired stone wall looks better (higher) than the first one; perhaps a silver lining in drunken behavior. Is that a red coreopsis in the flag picture? Hope you picture some of the individual roses.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Your flower borders are so beautiful! And your roses are exquisite. Such a delight to look at. I bet they smell wonderful too.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, I have Tiny Todd, but yours puts mine to shame! Bonnie is indeed bonnie, but I love your flower borders. I so wish I could grow roses, but I refuse to feed the Japanese beetles. Surprisingly, the beetles just started here a couple of days ago, & don't seem to be too, too bad. Yet...

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU everyone for looking & commenting!
    Guess what it's doing again today?.......downpouring, of course!
    Lots of petals floating in the little rivers of mud winding around the gardens. Wish it would at least drown all the japanese beetles but nothing kills them. I spend the entire summer picking them off by hand and dropping them in buckets of soapy water. I usually collect a hundred or so a day. Jean, the ex-bf paid me to replace the lost plants and then my daughter dumped him. She won't tolerate a drunk, nor will I. Mantis and Nat...those dark maroon daisy-like flowers are the Big Bang coreopsis 'Mercury Rising'.

Thanks again to each and every one!

Celeste

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Lovely garden photos, Celeste, but I know what to expect when I open your posts--eye candy for sure!! Too bad the rain or sunshine won't go where we want it to. We are still in drought here and looks like not much is going to come down in July. I will trade you our sunshine for some of your rain--LOL. Not sure when you expect your first daylilies to bloom, but I just happened to get on the LA today and I see Robin of Earlybird has listed quite a few more DLS. What really blew my mind was the clump of 10 Golliwogs she is selling for a starting price of $10. That's a fabulous price for an excellent daylily, and you know she sends very good plants. Hope you and your family are doing well, bet the new grandbaby is getting lots of attention from everyone. I expect to see more pictures of him pretty soon. Avedon

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Very pretty,Celeste! It looks like a glorious heavenly place to visit. Would love to walk thru some day! I`m in Ky...so these pictures will have to do!. We have had damaging rain here,too. It is both a blessing and a curse! It really did a number on my clematis...knocking petals off. I can`t wait to see your daylilies this year. I know they will be outstanding! lesley

• deangreen
    10 years ago

boy, but don't those roses love the rain! very very nice. I like that first todd lily. I might have to go google that one, I like a little light pink accent like that. nice pics!