Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Two Newbies

maximus7116
9 years ago

These are two newbies that arrived this Spring. Sorry for the fuzzy images -- they were taken with a new camera that doesn't cut it.

BLUE BREASTED BEE EATER

BUDDY'S WILD AND WONDERFUL, acquired in my quest to add more cascades to the garden:

And the delphinium are just getting going:

Chris

Comments (8)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Delphiniums don't like this warm, humid climate, but yours are so refreshing.Truly a lavish bloom on Bee Eater and a vivid Wild and Wonderful, but aren't you pushing the envelope with a Lambertson and an evergreen? Give us an update next year.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 22:13

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The delphinium are in their fourth year here in partial shade under a large pine tree, so I think they like it. In the past when planted in full sun I've had to replace a few each year, but I think I've found the spot they like.

Yes, I'm taking a chance on these two but they were fairly inexpensive on the Lily Auction. I wanted to give a Lambertson another chance because I love all those blue eyes. Too many cascades are evergreens, so I decided I'd have to try one here. I'll keep you posted.

• shive
    9 years ago

Blue Breasted Bee Eater is a beauty. I hope it thrives for you. I nearly lost my two favorite Lambertsons after a "real" winter here. Cerulean Warbler is down from 8 fans to one, and Asian Fairy Bluebird is down from 12 fans to four. Neither is putting up scapes this year.

I do love the cascades. Buddy's Wild and Wonderful looks interesting.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Nice start to your season. Lambertson's always start off rather slow here each season and then get going once the warm weather starts. I believe I only have 2 left which hopefully I will move out this year. Surprised they made it after this winter.

Delphiniums last about 2 seasons here before they die out but I've always planted in full sun so maybe I'll take a page from your gardening experience and seek a more shaded area.....if I can find one. LOL.

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julia, does this mean you're getting rid of the last of your Lambertsons? I used to grow Raptor Rap but didn't care for the color here (too mauve), and I still grow Blue Eyed Butterfly, which hasn't increased much since its arrival many years ago. I was hoping the primo location I gave this new one would help.

Debra, sorry to here your Lambertsons aren't thriving. I know you like the cascades, too. Hopefully I'll have more to post this year.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Chris ,I forgot about BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY which I am keeping. It does really good here so it stays. I think I'm up to 8 fans on that one.

The 2 I'm getting rid of is AWESOME APPLIQUE which at last count is at 5 fans but thin ones and WASHED WATERCOLOR which I think is only 3 or 4 fans. These two I think would do better in a zone 7 or higher.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Those delphiniums are amazing, Chris. Love them. Blue Breasted Bee Eater is a beauty too.
    kay

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

OMG at the delphiniums! So pretty! I can barely manage the poor relation of larkspur here. Serious envy.

That BBBE is very nice and also a tongue twister. As I suspected, it's a bird from LL's travels. He gets around.

Wild Wookie, one of BW&W's parents is good here. I was always trying for a number of years to acquire the other, WIld and Wonderful, but without success. You'll have to keep us posted on it.