Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Sunday Blooms

mantis__oh
9 years ago

Brief thunderstorms here daily. We need a soaking rain and then good-bye humidity. That's not what we will get (maybe Wednesday).

Here are some of today's blooms--mainly old cultivars, but sometimes oldies are goodies.

After many splotchy blooms, Freewheelin shone today. Doesn't have the grace of Marked by Lydia.

Tar and Feather with Gilded by Grace in background:

Rich Girls

A pot of Spiderman

Grace Like Rain--not a fast multiplier, but every bloom is perfect.

Super 76

Musical Medley

South Seas

A seedling from many years ago:

Alice Lambertson, one of few daylilies to be well budded this year:

Just Like Candy (too new to evaluate)

Carolyn Hendrix, an old Munson

Drums Along the Mohawk, a vigorous Moldovan

Green Mystique is new

Nobel

Hospital bed

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 21:31

Comments (12)

• gdjcb
    9 years ago

South seas looks like a stand out Daylily. I also like the red of Carolyn Hendrix and the edge on Green Mystique. You have great looking blooms, thanks for sharing.

Gale

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

That vivid red on Spiderman is great, and I like Grace Like Rain, too. Your bright Moldovans look great.

Is that cleome in the hospital bed? Do you plant it every year?

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

wow!! I sure do like Tar and Feather. Very bright and pretty. and Musical Medley is a pretty one, too.
    Green Mystique is always a beauty, too.Love that Nobel , and m y favorite one of these is your seedling from years ago. its really pretty.

jean

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Chris, they are Proven Winner varieties, not like the old tall, sticky ones. Great garden plant! I have used cleome for the past several years. Jean, the seedling is not well budded, but I liked the soft yellow color and crimped edges.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 22:30

• shive
    9 years ago

Grace Like Rain is a real beauty, and I like the simple elegance of your seedlng. I hope Green Mystique does well for you. I was just thinking last week how much I like mine. The blooms are always well behaved here.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Like all the daylilies, but the hospital bed is right up my alley. I had Cleome in my front border for a couple of years but for some reason it declined and never grew well there again. We pitched the spent plants at seasons end in the compost ben and from there on, as in for 15 years plus, every year we have seedlings pop up all over the back yard....South Seas daylily is one I heard about from everywhere when I first started growing daylilies. I finally found one and from the great picture you took one can tell why everyone likes it so much......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl, try some of the new Proven Winners cleome. They are shorter and more floriferous. In the picture are Spirit Appleblossom and Spirit White. Unfortunately, they are also more expensive, but one doesn't need a lot.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

These are wonderful pics. Your blooms are clean and appear to open well. Spiderman is a standout. You have a few in pots so I guess you haven't decided where to plant them yet.
    I always wanted to try cleome and will look for the Proven Winners variety. Do they come back each year? The hospital bed looks great.

Julia

• deangreen
    9 years ago

really like the first two, very striking! :)

• njmomma
    9 years ago

My FreeWheelin just started today and looks exactly like yours. Love it! Ok, I may have to get South Seas. I've seen it here many times and it always looks great.
    Tar and Feather looks great! How is the bud count? Do I need it? :)

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bud count on Tar and Feather is so-so (6-10), but it gives great early punch. The Spirit cleome have to be purchased each year. They give some seed, but I don't thing they are true to variety. It's good that they aren't so seedy.

Yes, Julia, some potted ones are waiting for spaces, which are opening up. Other potted ones are for sale. That Spiderman pot would make a nice gift for someone at only $6.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 16:32

• statmam
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised your Tar and Feather made it through last winter's exceptional cold. I used to have T&F when I lived in IN (and loved the striking flower) but lost it to a cold snap. Thanks for the memory.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville