Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

While waiting for daylilies & grandbaby

celeste/NH
10 years ago

All this rain lately is making everything so green and lush. The roses are starting, the early daylilies are pushing up scapes, and I'm on pins and needles waiting for my newest grandbaby who was due 5 days ago. His mom (my oldest daughter) moved back in with us and will be a single mom so I am going to be both daddy and gram. I've been trying to get all my gardening chores caught up but you all know how that is especially when it rains a lot. Weeds everywhere! Slugs and some kind of tiny caterpillar that eats everything....and pretty soon the japanese beetles will make their dreaded appearance and devour my roses. The rose borders by the road are just starting and aren't at their grandest just yet so I will wait and post their pictures later. Here's a few other things blooming and happening in my yard.

Celeste

William Baffin, eating up the rose arbor

an endless sea of white peonies

closeup

Globemaster Allium is a butterfly magnet

johnny jump-ups re-seed themselves every year
{{gwi:820281}}

clematis are blooming....this is 'Empress'

this is 'Ruby Glow'

Everyone calls this the Lemon Lily....not sure, but it is the earliest to bloom here

Every year my foxgloves re-seed themselves and always were pink or lavender. This year there was this pure white one.
{{gwi:820287}}

All the scots roses have been blooming for awhile. This is Harison's Yellow.

I recently shared the ffo of 'Bonnie Holley' that came from Maryott's last fall. It opened more in the rain and this is one of them. It's weird to have one blooming this early....it thinks it's still in California...lol.

The Mountain Laurel are just starting to bloom

Comments (15)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I would like to be able to grow mountain laurel, but it is difficult here. Your cultivar is exuberantly colored. A wonderful color combo with the swallowtail and allium. And the peony is?

• shive
    10 years ago

The photos are beautiful, especially that white foxglove. They look like photos out of a gardening catalog. I'll take one of everything!

You really have your hands full taking care of your mother, your daughter, and soon-to-come new grandbaby. Don't forget to take care of yourself while you're taking care of everyone else.

Debra

• goldcountryJanet
    10 years ago

Your garden is beautiful--it takes me back to a garden tour a month ago in California's foothills--Mountain Laurel was new to me, and so intriguing. It's like nothing else in the garden. My large daylilies are just starting to bloom. Enjoy your grandbaby!

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Oh Celeste, I don't know how you manage to keep up with all that you do. But it all looks so beautiful. I just love that Mountain Laurel that you have. And the roses and white peony are stunners.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!! you may not have a bunch of daylilies blooming, but you have los of gorgeous blooms anyway.I havenever seen such beautiful Peopnies like that before. They don't grow like that around here.They grow, but they stay small. that mountain Laurel is gorgeous. first one I ever seen before and its gorgeous.That daylily is mighty pretty, and that yellow rose, too,The Clematis is beautiful,, too as well as that rose that's swolling up everything> is gorgeous. and I use to have piles of the johnny jump ups too,but over the years they have all disappeared. so I will just injoy yours. good luck with the grandbaby to add to your daily chores... I love your photos , celeste,and hope you will have time to take more photos when the roses and daylilies are blooming.

Thanks for taking the time to post these early photos for us.I loved each and every one of them.

jean

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Your photos are all gorgeous! What beautiful peonies you have.
    Val

• mizellie
    10 years ago

Celeste , everything looks grand. You have so much color
    that you don't even need the daylily blooms to perk thing up. You, my dear have a rough row to hoe. As Debra said" take care of yourself " because if you get down, it really will be difficult. Weeds are everywhere here to so, I am not gonna worry... Ellie

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

You grow so many plants that we can't grow here in our climate. I love looking at them. The peony is spectacular. And even though it's an old fashioned flower, I still get a kick out of Johnny Jump Ups....Take care......Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Awesome photos Celeste I just don't know how you find the time to do it all. I think we're going to have to start calling you Wonder Woman.
    Linda

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Celeste, the garden is truly awesome. I wish I lived close to you so I could see it in person. Your Bonnie Holley looks fabulous - mine has never put out a decent bloom.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

The rose sand peonies are magnificent, and that Mountain laurel is to die for. Beautiful pics Celeste.
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, beautiful, every one of them.
    It is indeed a sea of peonies! They look perfect.
    I have very similar no name white one, with those red markings. It is not fragrant, and started couple days later than all my other peonies, and only has 4-5 flowers :)

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU everyone for taking the time to look at my post and comment.

My darling newest grandbaby finally arrived yesterday, May 17th!! It was a very long, difficult and dramatic delivery so I have been at the hospital since Monday morning and haven't even had time to shower let alone
    read any posts here. We came close to losing him but he is here, healthy and adorable! I am over the moon in love. My daughter was a trooper and so brave. I will post a picture of him soon!

Celeste

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your new grandson, Celeste!
    I am glad everything is ok

• nat4b
    10 years ago

dbl

This post was edited by nat4b on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:13

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting