Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floota

This weeks blooms posted

floota
11 years ago

Some of this weeks blooms have been added to my blog. With bloom season moving into fast forward mode, I'll try to post pictures on the blog every few days. I like putting the pics on the blog because I can see them better ( guess my age is showing!) Sad but true. Please visit if you have a chance.

Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie's blog

Comments (10)

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Thanks floota!!Ellie

• shive
    11 years ago

Julie - I haven't read your most recent blog because I had to catch up on the one about yellows. Luckily it was about a lot more than yellows. (They're probably my least favorite.) I really got a kick out of Edd's Red Bed. I just love that he really made it look like a sleeping bed. So cute! And your clump shot of Frilly Bliss was heavenly! Thanks for so many great photos of the Region 14 Tour.

Debra

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another update was just posted to my blog with lots of pics from this week! Many spiders, UFs and small/ mini blooms in the early season. Link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog update: cool morning openers

• bloominghaus7/LI/NY
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! Beautiful! Andrea

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

I just looked at all your June 5 pphotos. I really like Grace Stamile's (something) Flirt, was is 'Blue Flirt'? and the new spider introduction from Gossard.

So there is a name for that petal folding over problem - tunnelling, you say? I've had some doing that also. And faded colors, and smaller than usual blooms, and some that never opened at all... The reds seem to be doing better than the other colors, have you noticed this?

Christine

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Christine,
    Yes, this is a common occurrence in cooler climates. People call this by a lot of different names - canoeing, tunneling, boating, etc. Although we are below normal rainfall, we have gotten some rain and colors are normal. Colors always look more intense here after rain, and no, I haven't noticed any difference in reds this year. I have been spraying ( more than normal with the upcoming regional) and the thrips have disappeard this year - hooray!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Blue Flirt and Mark Allen Carpenter are real eyecatchers for me. You've posted some beauties alright....Maryl

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Beautiful flowers! I especially like The Band Played On, and the name too :) and Green Inferno.
    That tunneling on Barcode (if I am right) doesn't look so bad. What I don't like is when one petal won't open correctly, and that happens quite often here..

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Exhibition judges call this trait ( when one petal isn't correctly opened) "tonguing". It is considered a fault for an exhibit in a flower show and points are deducted. This week I have walked past a LOT of blooms that were not opened properly because of the weather. We normally don't see that around here, but the cool weather has sure given us a taste of it.

This AM it was so cold that I didn't even bother with the camera and will try to get a few pics tonight!

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just posted again - see topics below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Green throats, photography and more