Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Afternoon Visit to Ashwood

Posted by mantis__oh z6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 22:03

Everything is parched here, with a brief cooler respite and then near-hundred-degree heat forecast. This is shaping up to be one of the worst seasons since 1999.

I took some photos at Ashwood last Saturday. It was early afternoon (between 1 and 2 p.m.) on a hot day, but there were a few momentary cloudy stretches.

SAM ABELL

BELIEF IN VEIN was more appealing to me this year. Blooms tend to look up to the sky, rather than at the viewer, though.

This group looks tipsy.

REMEMBERED KISSES This one is new. There weren't enough open flowers yet to really evaluate it, but this bloom was impressive. I immediately thought of the famous Tennyson line from "Tears, Idle Tears": "Dear as remembered kisses after death."

WORKS FOR ME This blossom show the effects of sun, but it was, after all, afternoon.

LADIES NIGHT OUT I was drawn to this shade of purple. Yes, I didn't dare deadhead.

NO BLUE OXFORDS I picked this up a few weeks ago. Love all those buds.

ASHWOOD STILL NIGHT Also picked this one up.

More to come.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Afternoon Visit to Ashwood

very pretty pictures, I love that one, LADIES NIGHT OUT. very pretty.ASHWOOD STILL NIGHT is a beauty, too.

jean

o

No Blue Oxfords looks like a great pick. It has a fabulous scape! I've always admired Ashwood Still Night. That should be a good one for you too. Sam Abell and Remembered Kisses are beautiful eyed and edged cultivars. You must have enjoyed your visit.

Debra

o

How neat to be able to visit like that. thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. I really liked Works for Me and Remembered Kisses.
kay

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 1:29

What a nice touch the Tennyson line was. Belief in Vein and Ashwood Still Night really catch my eye. Will need to check those two out. thanks for posting pictures from your visit.......Maryl

o

Beautiful and it has to be a treat to see Ashwood Gardens. I just love Richards intros. NO BLUE ORFORDS is my favorite, I have that one myself. Oh and SAM ABEL. I have that one too and just love it.

o

Your background is showing, Professor.

Remembered Kisses and especially Belief in Vein are my picks. I love the detail on Belief and the network of veins in the petals.

o

Jean: In the morning a week earlier, I also saw Ladies Night Out, and the color is intense.

Kay: Works for Me is a bit smaller than most of the others pictured here. It resembles Jane Trimmer a bit, but the eye is denser and deeper. I noticed it was a very good grower, and I suspect the price will soon reflect that.

Chris: I will be watching the performance of Remembered Kisses on future visits, but may not go again if the weather turns even worse.

Debra: Yes, love those scapes. Am so tired of cultivars with 6 or 7 budcount.

Maryl: As a (now retired) English professor, I always think of literary allusions when I hear names.

Rita: Would like to see Sam Abell in a clump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here