Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Your Best Ruffled Pink?

treehugger101
9 years ago

I am searching auctions and every online store I know looking for a heavily ruffled true pink pastel or close. Very fragrant would be a great. These will go in front of a line of David Austin roses that are light true pink. Of course, I would love a great rebloomer and scapes about 25 - 33" If anyone has any pics of yours that you love best, I would appreciate seeing them! I am hoping to find one here that can still be purchased somewhere. So many of your lovely blooms are nowhere else. Thanks for your help. I will show pics as we go.

Comments (18)

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Cio Cio San is a lovely pink:

San Ignacio:

{{gwi:703176}}

Noel Weston is a larger bloom:

A smaller one, Westbornes Wild Rose Petals:

Wild Cherry wine is not tall, but is a lovely bloom:

The Secret of Contentment is tall, ruffly, available and does repeat bloom here:

Forsyths Garrett Mason is white with a pink edge:

{{gwi:797898}}

Count it All Joy, another Emmerich is not tall but very delicate:

Last is Pink Gingham not large, but ruffled as all get out and a repeat and repeat again bloomer here. I don't think Marietta carries it anymore:

That's all I have. I noticed no one had answered, so wanted to give you a few.

kay

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Organic_kitten, First, thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I guess I just asked a stupid question.

These are all exactly IT! Where should I resume my search? I could name the 9-10 websites I already visited and the auction location, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to do that here. Any help is appreciated. The websites had a ton of pretty flowers but all looked like they would brown out or were way too coral even though they called them pink. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Terri

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

As a rose grower of long standing let me say that although daylily hybridizers have come a long way with "pink" daylilies, I've not seen one yet that's a match for rosey pink. The problem is genetics. Although there are species roses that are pink that rose hybridizers have had to play with, species daylilies come basically in just two colors, yellow and orange. Daylily hybridizers deserve kudos for getting them as close as they have to a rose pink, but they just aren't the same. Not right next to each other anyway. The way I see daylily pink is this. Take a red marking pencil and scribble it hard on a white piece of paper. Now erase the red. The residual color left is a pale redish color that, if you squint, looks pinkish. Darker or lighter, to various degrees that is what a pink daylily will look like in person (or at least all the ones I've seen). Also the back of the daylily petal in many cases is yellow which shines through further mutating the "pink" color. What makes it even more difficult is that this reddish sort of pinkish color on daylilies can photograph more true rose pink then it is. I've developed a real affection for pink daylilies, but I accept them for what they are. Not rose pink, but daylily pink. You might think about getting another color daylily to front your roses if you are as sensitive to the color differences in pinks as I am, or just wait around for the daylily hybridizers to finally achieve a true rosy pink .........Maryl

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meryl, Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps I will go with lavender daylilies to complement my pink roses and start a new bed for "pink" daylilies with salvia. I will likely wind up with hundreds of "pink" daylilies in search of that color. The photos shown by kay were right on so maybe there is hope. At least in roses, if I find a rose I like in a pic I can actually find that same rose! This daylily hunt is a bit crazy.

Kay, If you are willing to send me a fan or two I would happily supply shipping +.

Thanks again.

• statmam
    9 years ago

Just seconding Maryl's excellent post. I've given up matching roses and daylilies and now aim for contrast instead.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

Two of the cleanest, clearest pink daylilies I've ever seen or grown, are Buntyn's "Pink Aloha", and Salter's "Pink Lemonade Party". There are many pics of these daylilies on the All Things Plants website.

Linda

• shive
    9 years ago

This is a really nice lavender pink with no peachy tones.

SYMPHONY OF PRAISE

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

This is the pink Austin rose Queen of Sweden.

Down the way by a few feet is an older pink daylily called Yesterday Memories:

From that distance there is no clashing of pinks (Yesterday Memories, although older is an excellent example of daylily pink btw).
    Since it was mentioned, this is the daylily Pink Aloha. I love this daylily and it is probably the closest I've personally seen to Rose Pink (as opposed to someone else's photo):
    {{gwi:822592}}

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl, I LOVE Queen of Sweden! I think I will have to add that one. The row in this bed are Heritage. I wanted to do that bed in pinks and purples with some pastel lilies thrown in. It is the orange pinks that would throw it off. Thanks for the gorgeous pics.

I had ordered

Pink Attraction
    Spring Garden Greetings
    Siloam Double Classic
    Princeton Silkie
    Palladian Pink

Most I bought from Oakes. About half are questionable but cannot find the ones everyone mentions. I guess I will have to see them bloom unless I find better ones over the next month. If anyone sees a good pink like all of yours, would you please send me an email?

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Queen of Sweden is my all time favorite rose. I visit it at the botanical gardens but I know I would just kill it if I owned it. I haven't mastered roses or clematis.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Yesterday Memories came from Oakes ages ago. Someone, having seen mine a couple of years ago, called Oakes to see if they still carried it as it was no longer in their catalog. They said they did. Oakes is a good source for clumps of the older daylilies. Most of the other ones mentioned are newer selections and to find them you will have to google them to find out which nursery carries them......Maryl

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

THANKS A BUNCH is beautiful and every bloom is perfect from the get go. It establishes fast too.

:-)

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Based on your recommendations, I sent Oakes the following list.

Thanks A Bunch
    Yesterday Memories
    Symphony of Praise
    Cio Cio San
    San Ignacio
    Westbornes Wild Rose Petals
    Wild Cherry
    Secret of Contentment
    Pink Gingham

They said they do not have any of them. Can anyone recommend a site to go to that might have any of these? I really need your help.

Thanks,

Terri

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I don't know how new you are to daylilies, but there is a disease out there called daylily rust that you need to try and avoid if possible. To do that you should try to order your daylilies from zone 7 and lower as the deep south growers almost all have it. I know this from hard experience. That doesn't mean that northern growers can't have it, they can, but since rust is killed by hard winters there's a reasonable chance that in the spring it is much safer to order from them then from places that have no winter at all......Now on to sources....I've never ordered from these people so don't know about them but they do carry Yesterday Memories at a very reasonable cost. For some of the newer daylilies you might try Cottage Gardens nursery in Medina N.Y. (they have Symphony of Praise for instance).............Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Ogdon Station Daylilies

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

What about Ariana Crystal? Can't find my picture right now but here's a link. http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/35017/Daylily-Hemerocallis-Ariana-Crystal/

• njmomma
    9 years ago

I just gave Palladian Pink away to a friend because it always was the first to get thrips.
    As far as ruffled pinks, well, I'll just have to add another pic of San Ignacio - well budded and great performer.
    It's still in the morning shade here but it's pink, not purple.

• njmomma
    9 years ago

oops, forgot about Dabo Girl. Here's a pic from past years - hasn't bloomed yet this year.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl, Thanks so much. I am placing an order with Ogden.

njmomma, Wow. I will watch for thrips. I appreciate the tip. Dabo Girl is gorgeous, too!