Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deangreen

---wonderful floriforous Wed..... some repeats and 2 FFO's ------

deangreen
11 years ago

click on any photo for a LARGER view...

Siloam Headlight was shining nicely this morning with a nice surround of buds, and then the lighting was pretty good to get some detail on this bloom of Midnight Smoke Rings

The first pic above is a seedling from a friend I've had for several years, nice firey double. Does anyone know of other diploids I should grow that have this blend of orange/red throughout the petals? really like the colors! and the next two pics are Siloam Dean's Double. I couldn't decide between the two pics which to post because I love the colors in both. One closer up really got the flowers into focus and the last one had the turquoise from the glass object..ha! This one staggers out its blooming and seems to last for a long time regardless of lacking branching/bud count. I put it on everything else double in my yard.

the pics above show a new rose bush that I couldnt' resist in some David Austen Rose ad I came across during last winter.. my dreams of the coming spring got the best of me and I ordered some. I'll be patient for this to be a nice big bush full of blooms someday. Next is Siloam Pink Platinum and the last pic is Siloam Holland's CHoice. which I really only like for its big size.. otherwise it's too pale and blah for me.. but I know others will say it's just right. ha

Comments (8)

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I love Siloam Headlight and Midnight Smoke Rings is looking particularly fine today. Over the years I haven't been able to resist Austin's roses either. I have so many of his roses in my garden because I fell in love with the glossy photos in his catalog. I enjoy your pictures (especially the Siloams) so keep them coming!

Celeste

• shive
    11 years ago

I really like the blue eye and green throat of Midnight Smoke Rings. Is it a miniature?

I can see why you like double seedling with the orange/red blend. Have you thought about crossing it with FRANCES JOINER? With it, you might be able to produce an orange with red on the edge, or maybe something that had red and orange swirled together. I really like Kropf doubles. How about crossing it with his HOLIDAY PARTY or AZTEC KING. Both are available at Earlybird Daylilies.

Debra

• deangreen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deb, I'm glad you brought up Kropf double. I do have a few and have been holding off crossing anything with my Siloam doubles becuase I wasn't sure if it was worth the bother because it always runs through my mind that the Kropfs seems to be a hose-in-hose type double and my other doubles are all stamen petals (not sure if I"m terming all that right) so thus I wasn't sure about crossing. although I will say I was looking at Missouri Moon and thinking, well maybe it does have petal formed stamens... hmmm. I guess I'll have to consider that. I did try some crosses with Double RIver WYe but only one of them formed a pod. I have a beginner plant of Jeffcoat's Style planted next to this orangey double in prep of crossing them someday. ha thanks for the comment. oh yeah and M. Smk Rngs is 3 - 4" yes a smaller one.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I really like M. Smoke Rings, just a nice look all the way around. I like that double seedling too.

• shive
    11 years ago

Dean - My understanding is that when crossing hose in hose type doubles with the others, you get both kind of double seedlings. I may be wrong, but I think genetically the hose-in-hose trait is recessive. That's why there are so few of them. You could email Robin Calderon about the results of crossing them to be sure. I think a hose in hose fiery colored one would be so pretty!

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Love the pics of the doubles. :-)

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Siloam Headlights and Midnight Smoke Rings are my favorites both are stunning.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Very pretty. Especially the first two.