Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

A Few Bright Spots

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Generally, blooms have been disappointing so far. Some of those in bloom have yet to produce a decent flower; e.g., Malaysian Marketplace has had just one ugly after another (mainly deformed and not opening, despite near 70-degree lows).

Judy Davisson reported that I am not the only one with a Mr. Butters that resembles Osterized this year. She has had several inquiries. But she no longer grows Osterizer, so it is just a weather variant.

Miserably hot!

You'll have to use your imagination for the uglies. Here are some that were decent.

CARRIBEAN WHIPPED CREAM (early morning)

evening (after 91-degree day):

OMOMUKI in evening of same miserably hot day:

MISSOURI MEMORIES

MARKED BY LYDIA

IN THE HEART OF IT ALL Great performance this year. Excellent bud count and early morning opening (though flower does not have a perfectly flat shape):

DESTINED TO SEE Early morning opening. Color a bit more blue than reality because of low light.

EARTH MUSIC Looking great

STEVE TRIMMER

ASHTON'S GIGGLES Scapes short on this first-year plant, but some nice blooms. Too early to evaluate, but I'm afraid the short scapes will be a problem.

HEAVENLY STARFIRE

Huge blooms on Annabelle:

MARIE HOOPER MEMORIAL More thrips damage than other years, but still very reliable:

Usually well spaced, Marie had this freakish cluster:

IMPERIAL EMPRESS An intense color:

APRICOT JADE I think this has great color and texture:

FRANKIE'S FANTASY A reliable earlier one:

Comments (16)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

you got a bunch of beauties.

APRICOT JADE
    is relly pretty/.EARTH MUSIC is really nice. love that one.
    DESTINED TO SEE is a beauty. don't look like they took the heat bad. they look great.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Omomuki is sUch a nice yellow! It makes a gorgeous clump. Your Annabelle hydrangea has grown very large. Do you grow it in shade?

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is only a small part of Annabelle; it is pretty much in shade, on the north side of a one-story house. Some of the blossoms are a foot across.

• shive
    10 years ago

I really like Annabelle.Thanks for posting the second photo. I'm thinking of getting a couple in the part of my yard where the neighbor's trees provided too much shade for daylilies.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

These all look lovely. I really like CARRIBEAN WHIPPED CREAM, I'm really liking big flat flowers this year & this looks like one. Beautiful clump of Mi Memories, MARIE HOOPER MEMORIAl I calling me too, & I'm not usually crazy about yellows. Then, I can't leave out MARKED BY LYDIA, it is really pretty too.
    Isn't it funny how weather can affect them? Here we had a cool spring, everything is late, but this week we got gotten into the 90s for a couple of days. This year my daylilies that normally have some splotchy blooms have been absolutely perfect. Jerry Nettles & Storm over Toledo are 2 that particularly come to mind. Storm has been blooming for a week or so & every bloom great. Jerry just started, but the first blooms are lovely. Oh, and I mentioned on another thread about Christmas is, I don't think it had ever had a nice bloom, but every bloom has looked good this year, although they are not nearly as big as the first blooms were. Maybe next year will be your turn though, & then, it is still pretty early for you, they will probably improve.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

This has not been a banner year for me. Too many splotchy blooms. I blamed the thrips and I think the slugs should have gotten more. My season has been a bit late too.

I really like Carribean Whipped Cream and Omomuki. CWC stood up well to the heat. Destined to See is lovely and your Annabelle is magnificent. Everything looks great in the photos.
    kay

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

I had a look at my Omomuki last night after a 107 degree day. she really can take the heat, and frost also. We had 7 killing frosts here the last 3 weeks of April and she didn't even show much damage like some of the others.

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I had considered buying Carribean Whipped Cream a few years ago but for some reason that I can't remember, I didn't order it. After seeing your pictures, I will next year. It is really nice. Omomuki is a nice soft yellow and I love the white midrib it has. Beautiful clump shot. In the Heart of it all is lovely pink, I love it with the ruffles. Imperial Empress is such a lovely color. Ashton Giggles is one I bought seeds from and the first one opened this year. If the rest are like that one, he throws nice kids. Thanks for posting. Marg

• ruthz
    10 years ago

All of those are really pretty. I do like the color and texture of Apricot Jade a lot.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg: I hope that Car. Whipped Cream is hardy in your zone. Most Talbotts here are not, but CWC is an exception

Kay: The intense heat has reduced bloom size also. This actually is shaping up to be worse than last year. But for those whose gardens were dessicated last year, that won't be the case. All the extremes this year have taken their toll.

Debra: You might consider the tetraploid version of Annabelle, Incrediball. It has more upright stems, although I have heard some complain that its flower heads are less graceful. Annabelle does have a pristine splendor. A neighbor has Invincibelle Spirit. The blooms seem to last a long time, and it stays upright. My Annabelle has such massive blooms, it flops badly after a heavy rain.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 14:49

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about CWC. A grower just a bit north of us has it and are offering it again. I'll have to ask them just how hardy it is. Marg

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up about CWC. A grower just a bit north of us has it and are offering it again. I'll have to ask them just how hardy it is. Marg

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I love Caribbean Whipped Cream and it is nice to know it can take heat. Love the colors on Earth Music and Frankie's Fantasy. Apricot Jade looks to have nice substance, well, all look good to me. Very nice to have that info about Mister Butters, I was sure I had the "real" one. Avedon

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about some disappointments, esp. Malaysian Marketplace, it seems to be a board favorite.
    Those all look great, I really like Carribean Whipped Cream and Omomuki today

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All very lovely but always a gamble what the seasons blooms will be like. I would never have guessed that Caribbean Whipped Cream is a short daylily per the registration information. Nice bloom pic.
    I have Osterized so It will be interesting to compare photos when it blooms.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

You have a lot of bright spots! Especially my favorite of the batch MARIE HOOPER MEMORIAL.