Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Stella Supreme and Going Bananas

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Both of these offer a soft yellow alternative to Happy Returns and the gold Stella (which a friend churlishly says is colored similar to the median line on highways). Does anyone have any other alternatives to use?

Here is Going Bananas in the foreground, with Stella Supreme behind it. Stella Supreme is smaller, but a similar color.

Same scene a few days earlier:

On the other side of the garden, a Supreme Stella contrasts with darker colors:

Same view closer to the asclepias.

Comments (19)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

very pretty photos,Mantislike the yellow blooms,and them red flowers too, what ever thsy are, they are pretty.

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Very pretty bed views, esp the first two pictures.
    Last year I really wanted a lighter yellow dl, wrote down a name somebody posted here, but then I got Stella Supreme, so I forgot the name of that one.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Really like the color combinations in your beds. Big Time Happy is another long blooming yellow. May May is registered as a near white, but I consider it a pale yellow.
    {{gwi:693275}}

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, the purple ball-like flowers are drumstick allium.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

My Drumstick Allium (ornamental onion) are blooming now too, but your plant combination really makes them pop. The Aesclepius in particular is inspired. What is the blue flower?.......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larkspur

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

The pale yellow with the larkspur is terrific. I've never been able to get larkspur to re-seed here, so I usually plant a few delphinium each year.

Is this a community planting?

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lovely! I really like the colors.

Another soft yellow which is an excellent bloomer (and re-bloomer here) is Whistler's sister:

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the hospital garden I tend. Delphiniums don't do well here, so we have to settle for larkspur. Kay, I picked up Whistler's Sister last year on your recommendation.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Larkspur did well here this year, but they aren't, of course, as refined and opulent as delphinium.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

They're beautiful and, to me, are the perfect "cottage garden" flower. Delphinium usually last a few years here and then don't return, but I can buy a pot for less than $2, so I treat them as biennials and replace a few year each year.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful garden, Mantis, I love your plant combinations, you have a very good eye for color. Larkspurs are good alternatives to delphinimuns if you live in a hot climate, plus they usually re-seed. Looking at the photo of Whistler's Sister made me think it looks similar to the Moon Music which just bloomed here. It is a cream color with the gold edge. Avedon

Moon Music

P. S. You asked about Voila Francois. It was purchased as a single fan and added one more fan this year, so it could be a slow grower, and I don't see a lot of buds, but hoping it gets better as time goes by.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

It really looks nice. Love the orange of the milkweed and of course love the blue Larkspur.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Have you thought of Double River Wye? Light yellow, blooms above the foliage, consistently doubles and increases very well (in my garden). Offers a visual difference from the typical single bloom forms.
    The orange Asclepias is very eye catching with the alliums. I wish I had gotten Larkspur this year.

Julia

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I thought that was Larkspur but since I've never grown it I couldn't be sure. I've tried seeding it in early spring and when that failed late fall. That failed also. I don't raise much of anything by seed any more, so I'd love to find the plants themselves.. You'd think some nursery would have Larkspur plants for sale in spring/fall here, but no, if they have anything it's Delphiniums which do not do well at all in our climate. BTW, I think that yellow daylily in your photo looks pretty darned good. Right bloom size and right color. Anything more fancy dancy and it might look out of place........ Again, very nice plant combinations.....Maryl

• deangreen
    10 years ago

pic 1 and 3 . wow! so great, I love the way you have that light yellow and light blue with the bold orange!
    and I'm still enjoying my purple drumstick allium too! such great bold colors. great pics!

• shive
    10 years ago

I love the colors in the first two beds. Going Bananas and Stella Supreme work very well there.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl, larkspur needs to be sown in the fall; it can also be transplanted in the fall. It does not transplant very well in the spring, unless you do so in very early spring with a good chunk of soil around the root. Garden centers don't carry it because it needs a larger container, quickly becomes too tall to manage, and doesn't transplant readily. Plus, delphiniums grown in hot houses have much more visual impact in the garden center. A lot of people won't buy anything till it blooms.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. May May and Double River Wye are two that I will definitely consider, and of course, I already obtained Whistler's Sister. Moon Music, I fear, might not be a great performer in the North (as one parent, Moonlit Caress, is so-so here).