Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Hot day for Weeding

organic_kitten
9 years ago

but I managed to get most of the large back bed weeded...and there were some really tough oak treelets and a lot of big violets that had to be removed, some from daylily roots. I have a long way to go, but the reworked bed is weeded and mulched, and I got most of this big bed weeded today. I feel as if I managed a good bit today. (And it was hotter than blue blazes and humid as could be)
kay

Comments (5)

• shive
    9 years ago

I don't know how you stood it, but congratulations! I was able to weed for 15 minutes this morning and gave up, covered in sweat. The heat index here was 101 by shortly after 1:00. I have gigantic violets everywhere. They seem to be the worst in areas that were well mulched last year.

Debra

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Good job! It was really hot yesterday here, so I know it was worse where you are. I was out early, & again just before dark. Supposed to be hotter today, but right now there is a decent breeze blowing. Yeah, violets seem to be having a really good year. They have always been pretty small before, but I swear some are as big as a hosta.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Those violets always seem to grow right next to the fans. But Monday was not that bad here, as it was overcast even though around 90. I would be happy to live the rest of my life without seeing 90.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Hot and humid here today.again but a strong breeze.They predicted thunderstorms but looks like it all went south of us.
    I was up at 5:30am and headed out at 7am to finish the last of the beds that needed a BIG de-weeding. Found a nest...empty of what looked like rabbit right down next to one of my seedlings. Then I found a birds nest in the same bed in the weeds. Hopefully now that most of the weeds are gone, they won't try to nest there again. I need to get some milorganite around the beds now.

I don't know how the folks in the south can garden this time of year but I give you big KUDOOS.

And wouldn't you know, the first bed I cleaned, is now showing weeds again and so the cycle continues.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weeds always grow faster than anything else. I got into trouble this year, first handing out food at a food bank giveaway, then picking blueberries. As you may remember, I am allergic to sun, so the long clothes exacerbate the heat issues. I had forgotten the gloves although I had the sun hat for the food giveaway. My hands, especially the right one were blistered before I realized it. With the blueberry picking, even though it was only about 20 minutes, I wound up with water blisters on my right hand.

So I am much more careful now but my hands remain quite sore form the exposure. I have a fan that I position so it blows on me while I work and I try to work in shaded areas later in the day, but sometimes, it's full sun. I'm just thrilled to be able to work outside again. The shoulder gives me some trouble, but I can work.
    kay

kay