Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Sporadic Start

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Things are starting here, but I have many of the same problems as others have reported after a wet period--slug damage and thrips. Also, some cold nights followed by hot days--and now plunged into ninety-degree weather scheduled to last for a week.

PINK TRANQUILITY An old one that usually throws some nice blooms, especially the first ones on the scape. Opened well.

IN HER PINK HIGH HEELS Good bud count and nice little edge. Too early to evaluate. Doesn't seem anything to get excited about.

ETCHED EYES Opened early morning. Very reliable. Doesn't hold the best in afternoon sun, but looked pretty good today after 89 degrees.

DESIGNER ROMANCE Newly rescued from anonymity (quite sure of the name now). I like this color.

MISSOURI MEMORIES Filled with buds.

MISTER BUTTERS Pictured by hybridizer as a much softer yellow, this bloom actually had some gold tints. I don't know why almost every hybridizer is not bothered by posting pics that one knows are not true to color.

CORINTHIAN PINK Big!

Yellow Norris seedling in corner of previous pic:

PUMPKIN PRINCE Can be a poor opener after cool nights. This one opened okay. Color attracts attention.

TAR AND FEATHER Bud count not great, but often get some rebloom.

BART ROBERTS waiting in a pot for its garden place. Low bud count. This one probably was a mistake, but too early to judge.

Comments (15)

• shive
    10 years ago

I like the soft yellow color and the ruffling on the Norris seedling. Designer Romance is putting on a nice show for you, and Missouri Memories has a lovely bloom and some great scapes.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I like the soft pink on that first one, very nice. and Mr. Butters is a true yellow but still bright an pretty. :)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

They are all very nivce blooms.cant pick a favorite out of them.a very nice assortment of pretty ones

jean

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

My favorite is Mr. Butters. Looks like it has lots of buds and a green throat.
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I also like the Norris seedling. Looks to be a softer yellow.

A couple of things may account for Mr.Butters color. You don't have Mr.Butters but have Osterized (which Mr. Butters is an offspring from), the rains you have had is causing deepening of color in the blooms OR the photo on Judy's site is incorrect.

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I like both yellows, both the shade of yellow and the form of the flower. Pumpkin Prince is definitely eye-catching. It's too tender to do well here, but I haven't gotten rid of mine yet.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Even with the crazy weather you sure have some lovely blooms especially like Pink Tranquility such a pretty shade of pink.
    Linda

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Mantis, here is my photo of Mr. Butters. It does seem to be somewhat different from yours in the shape, but as we know different locations can affect the flowers. One thing I know, cameras can't always get the correct colors of the flowers. I like your Norris seedling, and Designer Romance and Missouri Memories. Avedpn

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I missed this yesterday.

I really like the Norris seedling. Corinthian Pink is quite pretty. My favorite is your Designer Romance.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

DESIGNER ROMANCE is my favorite.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Davisson yellow is not Osterized, as it has much taller scapes than Osterized's 30". The form of my flower is like that on the Davisson website, so it is almost surely Mr. Butters, as labeled. Yes, the color of the clump on the website is a softer, light greenish yellow, perhaps the result of a very low-light photo, which can distort colors. Other photos on the web also show a brighter yellow.

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Another fan of the yellow Norris seedling and Designer Romance but I also like Corinthian Pink. I am always drawn to those with large blooms. Slugs were awful here too because of all the rain. That heat is here now too.

Celeste

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

There is it seems a fake Mister Butters out there and I have both of them. Out of four plants the real MB is shorter in scape height very light lemon bloom and looks exactly like Judy's pictures. The fake MB I got last year is taller much darker lemon yellow. Both plants sit right next to each other. So the difference was easy to see. The fake MB also has a flower clearly larger by an inch. Petal with is also an inch wider. I was happy to see this post as I spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to figure out where this plant came from. One other difference is in the pistils with the fake MB having larger and darker pistils. It's raining out this morning but ran out to pick both. My indoor pic is difficult to see the difference but out doors it's easy is see. The fake MB is on your left.

10 years ago

Gave wrong scape height. The real Mister Butters scape is taller. The fake MB is shorter at around 36". But is a younger plant so thats hard to judge. I ordered my plants from Judy with the unusual one being ordered last spring. When did you get yours?

10 years ago

One last time here. It quit raining so I was able to get a better picture of the color difference. It might explain the color that you are seeing on your MB.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996