Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floota

A visit to Nicole Harry's garden

floota
14 years ago

Here are a few shots taken at Nicole Harry's garden. We didn't get there until 1 PM, so regrettably these pics weren't so good, being taken in bright afternoon sun.

Nicole has only been selling and introducing since 2008, so she's come a long way in a short time and has a lot of great future intros.

Here are a few of Nicole's 2009's:

GOLDEN CHILD:

{{gwi:827629}}

GEMINI DREAMS ( a nice double:)

{{gwi:827630}}

BARBARA MORELLO:

{{gwi:827631}}

DOVEALICIOUS:

{{gwi:827633}}

GLAMOUREYEZ;

{{gwi:661937}}

SOUTHERN DAZZLE:

{{gwi:827636}}

SHEZA HEARTBREAKER:

{{gwi:827637}}

TWICE THE BITE:

SUSAN ELINOR:

{{gwi:827639}}

Here's Nicole:

{{gwi:827640}}

And a few of her futures and seedlings:

{{gwi:827641}}

Interesting pattern/ color:

{{gwi:827642}}

A really vivid seedling:

{{gwi:827643}}

A nice pink:

{{gwi:827644}}

Amd a mulberry :

{{gwi:827645}}

Last one / big edge / eye:

Wish I could have gotten these pics early AM! Hope you enjoy them.

Comments (13)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

those are great. Look at some of those edges! Susan Elinor is my favorite, but the color on Barbara Morello calls to me. She really is talented to have produced all of those beauties. Thanks so much for posting them.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

When I look at these I see Karol Emmerich's blooms. It just popped into my head. Maybe its the color and patterns.

Look like they are holding up well under the hot Florida sun. Seeing pics of them in the afternoon sun as most of us would see them in our gardens is more valuable than early morning photos.

Thanks for posting.

Julia

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I purchased Golden Child and Dovealicious at the National's auction. Thrilled with these cultivars! For years I've been looking for a yellow that really talks to me and Golden Child talks up a storm!

Wonderful pictures!

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Great photos! Hard to pick a favorite amongst so many beauties.
    Kathy

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

I almost bid on DREAMCICLE SUPREME (a previous intro) on the LA but stopped myself because of the unknown hardiness issue.

There are lots of beauties posted here, but evidently I'm a "plain Jane" kind of girl to prefer the simplicity of DS.

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Oh how marvelous...that must have been a real treat. I saw Southern Dazzle in person at the Burkhart garden on our regional tour yesterday. It's spectacular!
    Jan

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

Very nice! I recognize some of that Gaskin lineage in her blossoms.

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since some of you have mentioned SOUTHERN DAZZLE, my own plant of it had first bloom yesterday.

{{gwi:827647}}

You can see it is the right plant, but alas, it is a poor caricature of the established plant growing in Nicole's own garden. That's why I never judge a plant by its first year bloom. It takes a while to become established! I will break off any succeeding scapes on this during the rest of this season so this plant can grow and develop roots.

The first plant I saw at Nicole's was SUSAN ELINOR. I have a weakness for good pinks and the bloom color was wonderful. I was really primed to buy it as I'd been good up to that point. But, the more I looked at it, I could see that the blooms were too low in the foliage for my taste. Nicole has some other great pinks coming along that will have scapes just a bit higher so I'll hold off for now. It will also take a while to evaluate the two plants of hers growing here for hardiness.

Here's another good pink (future intro.) of Nicole's:

{{gwi:827648}}

This one had blooms placed well above the foliage, so I'll look for this one in a couple of years.

• lalalandwi
    14 years ago

Did you see Forced To Be Reckoned With? I've never seen a garden photo & curious. I will have to say your photos look like they would be right out of a catalog so they must be pretty true w/o tweaking. There are a few I was contemplating bidding on as well, & since she is so new & they were a lot of money, I decided I'd wait too.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Her intros and seedlings are really beautiful. Too much edge to do well in my garden, those edges get stuck. I still love looking though.

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nicole's garden was fairly small in comparison to those really large gardens like Ladybug and Floyd Cove. I really thought we walked up and down every single row and saw everything, but either these weren't blooming that day, or maybe they were sold out, or else I just flat out missed seeing them! I would like to have seen DREAMSICLE, as I've heard good things about it.

• tarheelbelle
    14 years ago

Your photography is wonderful! I really love the 2nd & 3rd seedlings. Beautiful!
    Michelle

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

Would love to have some of her cultivars. She does a fantastic job at hybridizing.

Nancy

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals