Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darobi2459

Northern lights daylils

darobi2459
10 years ago

Just received my order and got them in the ground within 1hr :)

Green Arrow, Pack Hunter, Carved Initials, Lava Flow, Leprechaun Prince, and as a gift Dances w/ flamingos :)

I got an order from another vendor on the LA, and Mike from Northern Lights put them to shame w/ the size of these fans and extras today! I will definitely buy from here again.

Comments (7)

• shive
    10 years ago

I've always received very nice plants from Northern Lights. I hope you will post photos of your new ones when they bloom.

Debra

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most definitly Debra! The way these looked, no doubt I will have blooms on them this summer :)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I don't want to re-open a can of worms about the Northern Lights debate, but I will make this comment. Northern Lights can be a good source of cultivars not available elsewhere. However, I have found that the pumped-up, greenhouse-grown single fans take just as long to establish in the garden as if they were garden-grown, smaller single fans. Initially, I was wowed by the size of the plants, but then found that, like all pumped-up greenhouse plants, they take a while to adjust to a garden environment and can even languish.

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will follow up with how they grow for sure. I have others that were done outside of a green house as well.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

Hi all, I was very pleased with my order that I recieved last weekend from Northern lights! Aniakchak (Mahieu) and Furgalisus (Gossard), and a gift plant Grimhild (mahieu). all were very nice rooted and sized. the Furgalisus was only one fan as advertised that's what I paid for and am happy to have it! I'll definitely be looking for what he puts up next winter--- I like the way he offers single fans for a bit lower price when buying the newer daylilies. cheers, make that 3 cheers!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I do know they grow their plants in a greenhouse and I've ordered from Mike in the past and yes, once that big plump fan acclimates they may or may not continue to be big. Just don't be surprised if it reduces.
    I paid for single fans, got single fans and expected nothing more. However, I noticed the single fans took much longer to acclimate "in the ground" here in my garden with no ongoing fertilization except for alfalfa pellets/or tea when planted.

This is not a reflection on Mike as he is a very nice person. It is all about buying single fan daylilies that are grown in a greenhouse versus being lined out and growing in the ground when you live in a northern climate. Maybe a double fan (grown in the same pot) would fair better.

Julia

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im a fan of Mahieu as well Dean, I only got pack wolf this year, but I also got some seeds of crosses of his as well :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES