Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Rain and Humidity--They Love!

mantis__oh
10 years ago

Rain with oppressive humidity has improved the quality of blooms!

IN THE HEART OF IT ALL Can't say enough good things about this one this year--vibrant, clean, well budded.

GRACE LIKE RAIN Looked better as the day went by. Plant is not that well budded, but is young.

IN HER PINK HIGH HEELS Taken day before rain. Performing well!

JACKIE KROPF In a pot

SUDDENLY BLUE In a pot

Will have to look up the name of this one:

GENTLEMAN'S LADY pot

BETTY JO A bonus I thought I would hate, but love the color and form:

FREE WHEELIN Prefer Marked by Lydia

Another shot of BLACK EYED BULLY Base color was more brownish today.

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS in hospital garden. Takes too much space in my garden

Another view of that garden

TAR AND FEATHER with Always Afternoon in background

CREOLE CAVALIER for years did nothing and suddenly this year has decent bud count

PUMPKIN PRINCE blooming beneath foliage this year

ASHWOOD STILL NIGHT

They are coming strong now!

Comments (17)

• shive
    10 years ago

Your In the Heart of It All clump looks great. The flowers look large, voluptuous and colorful. Grace Like Rain is another pretty one. The hospital bed has a variety of shapes and colors. I like the look of the cone flowers with the white lilies and daisies.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to include Gilded by Grace--small, a bit short, but perfect bloom.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Tar and Feather is very eye catching. The flower does look nice and big. Does it get to the registered height?

Hope your heat/humidity goes away soon. Seems cooler here this morning but we've had an overabundance of rain last night.

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

They all look wonderful to me. I'm glad to see your photo of Betty Jo, I to received one as a bonus and it hasn't bloomed yet, now I know what to look forward to I hope mine looks as pretty.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

wow, that clump of pumpkin prince really jumps off the page! great pics.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia, Tar and Feather does indeed get to its registered height of 26 inches. It sometimes reblooms too, but I fear that north of here it would be tender, as much of Kaskel's stuff is. It has moderate increase here, but not that slow, as I see it is scattered about the garden.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Gentleman's Lady is my pick of the group. Pumpkin Prince may be blooming in the foliage, but it sure looks generous with its blooms.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

They look awesome esp. Pumpkin Prince and Ashwood Still Night. Just love that purple shade!

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The unnamed daylily with the bluish eye is Art Gallery Nouveau.

Yes, Pumpkin Prince is well budded. But it can be slower to open in the morning.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love that garden shot and Grace Like Rain is my favorite.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They all look great. My favorites are Gentleman's Lady, Pumpkin Prince, Beautiful Edgings and very pretty Gilded by Grace. Mine won't flower this year, last year it was short. But I saw it in local garden about 3 or 4 years ago and it looked just fine.
    So there is a good thing about humidity after all ;)
    Oh, I was wondering why you prefer MBL to Free Wheelin?

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I missed this one. Hmmm. Gilded by Grace is a lovely one, and the clump of Pumpkin Prince is a beauty. My favorite of your blooms is either In The Heart Of It All, or the one whose name you need to look up. the hospital garden is lovely, Mantis.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, the unknown is Art Gallery Nouveau.

I prefer Marked by Lydia because I think it has grace and airiness, whereas Free Wheelin is just sort of a cast-iron whopper. Free Wheelin also has been slow to increase.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

They are all gorgeous blooms, but my favorite one today is TAR AND FEATHERS.it really stands out.

jean

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

In The Heart Of It All is really pretty, and I am really liking Ashwood Still Night. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I really like Gilded by Grace, but it reminds me of my Gilded Butterfly - short and low to the ground. It is the same this year as last. Too bad, as it is such a pretty flower.

Nancy

• shive
    10 years ago

Your Gilded By Grace looks very pretty and similar the short scapes mine had. I have a rebloom scape coming on mine. I like the perfectly round flower and the double edge. I also like Art Gallery Nouveau, especially the pattern on the sepals. I'll be interested to see how the Lambertsons do for you. Some of them seem very hardy and vigorous here, and others not so much.

Debra

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company