Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Pollination After Rain

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 23:49

This morning, I dabbed pollen about 9-10am. About 11:30, a big storm came up and we got 2" of rain. The storm came up suddenly, before it did, I dabbed pollen on a few more.

My question is, what are the chances of seeds making after this rain? How long does the pollen have to be dabbed before it "takes"? Even if they don't set seed, it was great to have the wonderful rain!

Another question, which is the best time of day to pollinate? I always thought it best in the morning. If a lily was pollinated in the late afternoon, will seeds still set?
Thanks...
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Pollination After Rain

My understanding is that the temperature is the biggest thing that will stop pollination (at least in Texas), so I always try to do it early.

I would think that anything you did before it rained would have a good chance. It should be pretty quick for the pollen to start travelling down the pistil if it is going to do so, and once it's in there, I don't think the rain will stop it.

Nate

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 11:51

Guess I will find out........the afternoon storm gave 2". We had another big one about midnight that gave another 2". I pollinated a couple just before the first rain came down so there probably wasn't 30 minutes from time I pollinated until the rain came. Pollen would have to travel pretty fast to have done its job. I try to do my dabbing in early morning, even before I feed my horses. This morning, it was nice and cool, some pollen hadn't even opened up yet.

Judith

o

We have three days rain predicted here so I am going to try----some say water and/or heat kills pollen in a short time ( old article in daylily journal) but I have one bud left on an early seedling--it's now or never!---------------Weedy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here