Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Friday's Few Fabulous Blooms

shive
10 years ago

I was too caught up in photographing seedlings and fighting bugs today to attend to many registered cultivars during the morning. Here are a few photos from Friday evening. Earlier in the day I caught a Japanese beetle devouring Arctic Lace. (Bought Jap. beetle traps short afterward) I've identified my little orange and black bud suckers as Stinkbug nymphs. There didn't seem to be quite as many today, and I didn't see any of the potato flea beetles. Unfortunately regiments of thrips were spotted here and there. The bug offensive will continue throughout the weekend.

WONDER OF IT ALL had angel wings today.

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS - After three years it finally has the pinched/pleated petals!

Here's the Integrated Logistics clump. It's really multiplied a lot in three years. The branching on it's scapes is the best ever!

NUTMEG SPICE clump with 18 blooms. Jean's WOIA clumps beat me by one.

LAVENDER ECHOES - another one of my applique daylilies.

Debra

Comments (9)

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

You have some great looking daylilies, but that clump of Nutmeg Spice is amazing.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful clumps, Debra. Integrated Logistics is really doing well.
    And Nutmeg Spice is showing off beautifully. I Like Integrated Logistics.

I have Japanese Beetles too, have been fighting the little devils for about a week. They are on my roses, but only certain roses. I keep the bucket of soapy water handy and knock them into it. It gives a certain satisfaction. Paul Neyron is one they love so well, they eat the leaves! Detestable lifeforms. I too am still seeing thrips and saw one slug yesterday.

kay

• houstmag
    10 years ago

The insect war goes on and on I hope you come out victorious. Great blooms Wonder of It All looks gorgeous as always.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val and Kay - I've gotten rid of most of my miniatures and small flowered daylilies, but this one performs so well in a clump that I can't part with it. I probably need to thin it out this fall though because it's not as well budded as in past years.

Kay - You are so right. Japanese beetles are detestable life forms.

Linda - After I get over my initial displeasure with the earliest blooms not opening, I fall in love with it again. LOL

Debra

• ruthz
    10 years ago

Really pretty. Nutmeg spice is quite a show.

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

They are all gorgeous, but your picture of WONDER OF IT ALL has just made me move it up to the top of my Wish List. I definitely have to get this one.

Nancy

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I always LOVE your posts because not only are the blooms gorgeous but you have a special talent at capturing their beauty with a camera. It is always a treat to open your threads.
    I feel your pain about the bugs. I am dealing with the slugs currently, as well as some type of small caterpillar on the roses. The JB's start up here around July 1st and continue to devour my roses til frost. On my true lilies, there is a horrible red beetle that will make holes in all the leaves and blooms if left unchecked. I very rarely spray or use chemicals because of all the birds nesting right now, hummingbirds, bees and butterflies. I had to use a dust on my lilies in early spring to stop the red beetles but other than that it is just a losing battle, especially with the JB's.
    Love that clump of Nutmeg Spice! Wowser!

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Wonder OF IT All looks especially great.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Celeste - I stopped growing roses after the Japanese beetles devoured every bloom I had on two bushes. I'm sorry to hear you have to battle them for so long.

Debra

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery