Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Kisses From Heaven, a Snow Owl, and more

shive
10 years ago

KISSES FROM HEAVEN, one of my favorite edge no eye cultivars, just had its ffo yesterday. I don't know why it is so late in blooming this year, but I'm happy to see it.

SMALL WORLD SNOW OWL had its ffo today, after just arriving a couple of weeks ago

LOVE ON A WIRE

Seedling Comanche Magic X Never Been Kissed

WONDER OF IT ALL reblooming beautifully - Now that it's really hot every bloom opens well.

ACQUIRE THE FIRE ffo - another midseason daylily blooming late

DANCE AGAIN ffo

WILLOW DEAN SMITH - Part of the clump. This one is my pride and joy.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 1:20

Comments (22)

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

Debra, can I make fun of you? Kisses from Heaven is an edge/no eye, not an eye/no edge. That's what happens when you post in the middle of the night. It is a beauty. Your seedling is very nice as well.

Edward

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward - That IS what happens when you post at midnight, are getting old, and are sleep deprived. LOL I really like that new editing feature. What are you doing posting in the middle of the night? Thanks for the comment about the seedling.

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

No air conditioning. Most summers it is not an issue but this week it is rough getting sleep. maybe with all this heat Wonder of it All will open well for me too.
    PS it is 2:26 here in the far east.

This post was edited by edward_kimball on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 1:26

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Wonder Of It All is beautiful but the clump of Willow Dean Smith is my favorite.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

For once, your Wonder of It All matches Jean's. I would be happy to never have nights that allow such comparisons. Willow Dean Smith will find a lot of new homes as the result of your breathtaking pics; it was added here this spring. Kisses from Heaven is also nice.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Willow Dean Smith looks outstanding! I can certainly see why it would be your pride and joy. I really like the looks of Love on a Wire too.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Another eye-popping photo of Willow Dean Smith. I added it this spring, too, and can't wait to see some blooms. With your variety of cultivars, I'd imagine you have an ever-changing "pride and joy." Your seeding has great color.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Wonder Of It All is stunning!

• houstmag
    10 years ago

No matter edge no eye or eye no edge Kisses From Heaven is a beauty along with Love On A Wire and they are my co-favorites.
    Linda

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Well, Sm. World Snow Owl is doing great, blooming so quickly for you, and a favorite of mine. Acquire The Fire is such an intense red, and good purple of Love On A Wire. Willow Dean Smith must take the prize, that's a fabulous daylily. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

KISSES FROM HEAVEN and WILLOW DEAN SMITH get my vote today.

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward - I hate it when it's so hot you can't sleep. Hope it cools down for you soon.

Everyone who posted - You're right! Willow DeanSmith should take the prize. The photo is of only HALF the clump. The reason why it is my pride and joy is its impeccable performance. It multiplies quickly, makes a stunning clump, has good branching and bud count, and has flowers that always open well and unblemished. And it sets seed when temps are in the high 90s. No matter how many cultivars I have, I can't say all those things are true for more than two or three. Rice should have made a bigger deal about this one when he introduced it.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Ouch Edward. I am sorry you and Mantis are sharing our regular summer weather.
    Debra, Kisses from Heaven is a beauty. Small World Snow Owl is also lovely, but Willow Dean Smith is such a gorgeous bloom and plant, it is my choice today. Again.
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oooh! I would be happy to see such a beauty as Kisses From Heaven too, and very proud of such a gorgeous clump of Willow Dean Smith as well :)
    Love On A Wire is very pretty, color and edge, and beautiful color on the seedling.
    And oh, Wonder of it All is gorgeous!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

And I am looking back through and realized I did not comment on your beautiful seedling, Debra. It is truly a lovely one and I really like the shades of color it has.
    kay

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

I would have thought it hard to improve upon You LooK Marvelous, but Willow Dean Smith clearly is/has. Beautiful.

Wonder of It All has annoyed me for the last year. The best day it had this year was with some 8 blooms open, but only 2 opened correctly. Perhaps if it bloomed later (for me), it could enjoy some of this scorching heat we're having and have spectacular days. But no. I will just have to enjoy yours and others' pictures. Which I will (smile).

Lovely photos, as always.

• User
    10 years ago

Kisses from Heaven has almost perfect pleating along the edge - how sweet is that. Very nice. I have seen so many beautiful pictures of Wonder of It All. I was thinking that I might need this one. Pretty.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caution to northerners: Wonder of It All will not open properly after cool nights. It's better grown in the south - the deep south.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

That clump of Willow Dean Smith is fabulous. You have so many nice ones, but what can compare with a clump like that! Love on a Wire is a fabulous performer for me.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

WILLOW DEAN SMITH is a beauty again. would love to have that one, its beautiful. am so glad that WONDER OF IT ALL is blooming nice for you now, its such a beauty ad my favorite daylily.I love that bloom.LOVE ON A WIRE is my next favorite one. its a beauty, too as well as
    ACQUIRE THE FIRE, what a beauty that iss.

jean

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Willow Dean Smith is just beautiful!!!! I also really like Love on a Wire! ...but then again, everything is beautiful!

Tammy

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful. I have to pick ACQUIRE THE FIRE.