Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A few return engagements, an ffo, and some lates

shive
10 years ago

I have about 30 daylilies that have put up rebloom scapes so far. The one with the best budded rebloom scapes is COOL HAND LUKE.

Here's one of the COOL HAND LUKE scapes

APACHE WAR DANCE, which has never rebloomed before, has a rebloom scape getting ready to start.

ETHEL BUCCOLA has flowers on two rebloom scapes today, with a third just emerging.

STROLLING IN THE ROSES, which was one of the best branched and budded in the garden, has a rebloom scape on the way.

I had two ffo's today as some daylilies are blooming later than they should.

RAZOR EYES

BUZZ SAW

The late bloomer AUGUST CHERRY with FINAL TOUCH on the left

My late blooming near white seedling

The last flower on JITTERBUG BLUES, which bloomed longer than any of my other blue eyed cultivars

SLIPPED MY DISCO, which is blooming later than normal

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:09

Comments (16)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Still lots and lots going on in your garden. Buzz Saw looks like a fun one. Look at that pinching on Cool Hand Luke. I'm having a hard time reading the color on that one -- is it more rose, or lavender? Strolling in the Roses is a beauty, and of course we all love your white seedling.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Cool Hand Luke sure is impressive! Slipped My Disco is my favorite of these and I really like your near white seedling too.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Wow. I'm still partial to ETHEL BUCCOLA because of the eye pattern on it. All lovely blooms Debra. You must be overjoyed with seeing all of this each day.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They are all so pretty. I love your header line. I really like Cool Hand Luke. Slipped My Disco is Gorgeous. Apache War Dance is my kind of bloom (one of them, anyway.) And Ethel Buccola has been magnificent for you this year. Excellent blooms Debra. Ever so pretty.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Cool Hand Luke is registered as a lilac snow orchid pink blend. This weekend it's looking more pink in temps in the mid 90s. When it's cooler, it looks more lavender. It's definitely not rose. Are you using an IPAD? IPADs distort the colors in my photos by adding red to them.

Kay - Ethel Buccola has put on a nice show both seasons I've had it. I would definitely put it in the good performer category.

• User
    10 years ago

Slipped my Disco is a fun name. Every time I see a photo of Elthel Buccola I say the same thing - I need to add that daylily to my garden. I also really like the way the ruffled toothy edge of Buzz Saw is mostly on the outer edge of the petals.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

They are all great, but I must single out Apache War Dance, Strolling In The Roses, your white seedling and Slipped My Disco. Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow APACHE WAR DANCE, is a beauty today.Love it.
    ETHEL BUCCOLA is always very pretty, too. and STROLLING IN THE ROSES, is a beauty, too, but,SLIPPED MY DISCO, is my favorite today, its gorgeous.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, Avedon, and Jean - Apache War Dance does pretty well considering it doesn't get full sun where it is planted. There's too much orange in the red for it to be one of my favorites, but it's very bright and attracts a lot of attention.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Just the name "Slipped my Disco" had me chuckling out loud. So funny to me, and a pretty daylily to boot. My favorite is probably August Cherry. How does the color/substance last during the heat of the day?...........Maryl

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Cool Hand Luke looks very cool indeed (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Slipped My Disco has one of those names that would be terribly hard to pass by and now I see the blooms are also very eye-catching.

Because I am in a very bright kind of mood, Apache War Dance looks like a most appropriate flower..very bright!

Thanks for a fun little stroll through some of your beauties.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow, Apache War Dance is soo bright! And how nice to have a surprise rebloom. It's my favorite today along with Buzz Saw.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - August Cherry has good substance and holds its color up to 94 degrees, It's one that ususally just fades slightly in our summer heat and still looks good in the evening. But last week on our very muggy 96 degree day, it did not look good by 6:30 p.m.

Katie and Maryl - Slipped My Disco is a fun name. It's named after The Tubes' 1976 song.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Lots of nice daylilies blooming for you. I think I like Slipped My Disco best, but Cool Hand Luck is really pretty too. I like that pinched look on it & a pretty color. Strolling in the Roses is really pretty, & August Cherry is a nice color. I think I need to look for more late blooming daylilies.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

OH gosh, your APACHE WAR DANCE looks so good!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra for relaying your experience with August Cherry in the PM.....Maryl