Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Daylilies in the Landscape

mantis__oh
10 years ago

I'm exhausted from a garden tour on Sunday. One of my gardens, the hospital garden, was a feature. Many daylilies are part of that garden, and those daylilies that are most effective are those that blend with and highlight other plants. Prima donna cultivars belong in a display bed by themselves. Of course, more expensive cultivars would be vulnerable also, as security caught someone digging plants from this garden at midnight a few weeks ago.

Mohawk Chief is a striking golden yellow that repeats the color of rudbeckia in the garden:

I have not been able to find the name of this very old cultivar, which blends wonderfully:

Ciel d' Or is a nice foil for the purple lythrum:

Beautiful Edgings (I had a similar pic before) really brightens up the garden, especially in the evening.

Jedi Tequila Sunrise is planted near the dark leaves of canna Australia:

Panama Hattie blends easily with other plants:

Honky Tonk Dream is overshadowed by a big Orienpet:

Moving away from daylilies, lilium Red Velvet (small flowers) is a deep ruby red:

Redbeckia are a cheap self-sown plant in the garden:

Purple liatris contrast with the many yellows in the garden:

Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry stand out:

Many cleome are used to give airiness:

Comments (16)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Nice job! I guess someone else thought enough of your efforts to try to steal from you. It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

You have a great selection of daylilies in the group. Your NOID looks like Fruit Loops to me.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful blending of blooms, Mantis. What a wonderful job you have done. I suspect many butterflies are grateful too. It is a shame that there is always someone who would rather steal than do work themselves.
    kay

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I really like that NOID that looks like Fruit Loops, I'll have to look that one up. And I am totally in love with the lily in the photo with Honky Tonk Dream. I have a lot of Rudbeckia too, of course the ones that resow seem to be the ones I like least, but they still create a lot of color. Goldfinches seem to love them.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I believe the orienpet is Satisfaction. The NOID may indeed be Fruit Loops. Coloration does vary, and so do the web pictures of Fruit Loops.

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 11:41

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Your photos look like a little part of heaven on earth! I have a small garden around my condo townhouse.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Your hospital garden is beautiful and lush! Bet visitors enjoyed the tour. I like all the combinations, and my favorites are (maybe) Fruit Loops, Ceil d'Or and Beautiful Edgings. I like rudbeckias and echinaceas too, but can't plant them due to shortage of space.
    At midnight! Gosh.. Means they looked during the day what to 'take'. Glad security stopped them, maybe they'll know now that the place is being watched.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

thanks great pics!! I really like all those oranges with the butterfly weed, and all the echincea, and you're right about the rudbeckia, always a good mix! I have some coreopsis among the daylilies but I should try more rudbeckia. ha :)

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

This is the garden I created for my retirement community.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Mohawk Chief is really striking in that setting and so is that next old No ID. All this garden shots are simply lovely!!

Donna, you have done any excellent job around your condo and at the retirement community. It looks fabulous.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know the name of the orienpet, I'll be looking for Satisfaction :)

• shive
    10 years ago

Mantis - The hospital garden is a little bit of heaven on Earth. My favorite photo is the last one. The white cleome is ariy and wonderful. I must grow some of that next year! My favorite daylily shot is the one with the Fruit Loops lookalike.

Donna - The garden you created for retirement community and your condo garden are very striking!

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

The garden looks lovely mantis. The combinations keep the eyes moving. Great job.

Julia

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

In front of Condo

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Daylilies peeking through the bench

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I do so enjoy seeing such beautiful landscaping that includes daylilies. I'm utterly devoid of any talent when it comes to creating lovely gardens, but I can greatly appreciate those of you here at the forum who create such heavenly outdoor spaces. Mantis, you have done an amazing job of that!

Nancy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous bunch of garden photos. I'm jealous.
    Linda

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner