Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

Is this Spacecoast Gator eye

flora2b
11 years ago

I posted this a few days ago and now have another flower, but when I checked the AHS & Dave's. Mine doesn't appear to be the same color nor size.

Does your SC Gator eye look like this?

Comments (14)

• floota
    11 years ago

Your image does not appear to be SPACECOAST GATOR EYE. Gator Eye has a much more pronounced edge! This is the correct cultivar as it came from the Kinnebrews when it first came out.
    Here it is pictured below:

{{gwi:676112}}

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

One question though-is it well established? I moved mine this spring and then we had the rough weather since. So when it did bloom, it was shorter, smaller and slightly off color compared to last years bloom. It looked like a twin to Joe Marinello-and that is NOT how it looked last year. Though yours does seem to be pretty white vs. peachy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I like it. The white is very clean looking and lovely.
    kay

• floota
    11 years ago

Yes, the picture was taken in 2005 and I had received it from John Jr. in 2000 when it first came out. It looks close to his registration picture. The background color has never looked peachy here, nor has it looked "lavender" as it was registered. Background color has always been cream.

• flora2b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the first year of bloom....got it as a single fan and it has been less than vigorous here (3rd year in the ground). I will move it to more sun next spring and see if it looks different. Maybe it is getting too much shade, but would that reduce the edge that much?
    Flora

• floota
    11 years ago

I don't think what you have is SPACECOAST GATOR EYE!

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I really like that one so I've been trying to find out who it is. The closest, in color, that I have found is Thunder Patch but it is a different shape and the petals are a different colour. Is the picture color the true color of the petals? If you find out who it is would you please post it here? Thanks. Marg

• flora2b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Floota, Lisa and Organic Kitten for your thoughts and experience. I totally agree, another NOID to add to my collection or if it doesn't shape up the other 150 seeds I got started this year may just replace it.
    Marric, if I figure out who this is I'll let you know. The color is accurate when I look at it on my screen. I bought it from Vesey's and usually don't buy plants from catalogues, but have always had good luck with their seeds.
    Flora

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I looked at the Vesey's site and they have Blueberry Sundae. I believe that is what you may have. I saw other pictures and a mature plant has the edge all the way around the petal. Here's a picture. What do you think? Marg
    http://www.kellynurseries.com/detail.asp?pid=4120

• flora2b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marg,
    Thanks, I have to agree it looks alot more like blueberry sundae than SC. It has the proper green throat, but lacks the purple edging all the way around.
    I'm new enough to this, does the edging vary significantly depending on weather, location, etc. or is it a steadfast should be there regardless?
    Flora

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Flora: IMHO weather does affect the color. I have a pink daylily, Kissed Off, that has come up dark cherry red this year, Ivory Coast has been a chameleon this year, first it was pale yellow, then melon/pink and now pink with a white edge. Lots of daylilies change color like that. Maybe when yours matures you will see a bigger edge on it. Some daylilies just take time to really show their true colors. Marg

• mizellie
    11 years ago

it's not Blueberry Sundae. Aside from the edge, the form is different! Wish I couldhelp ypu out here!! Ellie

• shive
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, I like it better than Spacecoast Gator Eye or Blueberry Sunday. It's round, ruffled and has chubby sepals - just the form I crave. Edges do vary based on climate and whether a plant is new opposed to established.

Debra

• flora2b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another pic of SC from today. Colors are definately different today.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH