Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora2b_gw

Disappointed with blooms

flora2b
10 years ago

I thought I was thinking modestly, hoping for about 50% bloom on my 2nd year seedlings and so far I have had a measly 7 scapes show up out of about 150 plants......what a disappointment. :-(
I haven't seen a new scape in about 2 weeks........maybe the watched pot theory applies here.
I guess in my area, it is a three year wait to see 'the first blooms'....I don't know if my patience is that practiced...
These are a few of the new ones anyhow

Comments (9)

• dani_plus_2
    10 years ago

You just wait- next year there will be so many that you'll be overwhelmed! And overjoyed,'too! I think I culled well over 125 this year....that's about 35% of my babies. I moved about 50 to a spot with more room to stretch their toes so I can evaluate better. A whole 2 plants we awesome enough to come to play with my named varieties. They were lucky....or scared. I was ruthless this year! I know it's hard, but try to be patient....soon you'll have somany that you won't know what to do!

• dementieva
    10 years ago

If it's any consolation, I'm doing about as badly. My first seedlings were on their second year this year, and 15 bloomed out of about 50. And I'm in a zone where they should grow a lot faster. I think I'm just still learning how to take good care of them.

I like the bleeding color in the eye of your first one.

Nate

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

My second year seedlings are about the same, some smaller but with larger flowers. My third year seedlings have between 7-10 scapes except for one that put on a 'growth spurt' and has 34 scapes.

• shive
    10 years ago

I started out with nine seedlings, and two bloomed within two years. The other seven took three years. But we had a drought during that time period. Your first ones look very nice to me!

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

We planted 1628 seedlings in 2010 and had 30% of them bloom this year. We had a few bloom the first year, but I have not seen any of those bloom again this year. We have around 120 of them marked as "keepers" for future evaluation.

Not all of the seedlings survived, and I don't have a count yet on how many we lost out of the 1628.

Nancy

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

The seedlings above were actually planted in 2011. Pardon my error!

Nancy

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

It is hard to wait, but like everyone has said soon you will be overwhelmed with bloom. I'm doing things on a very small scale, but I try to get some seeds planted every year so there is always something new coming.
    Val

• flora2b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your condolences and sharing your results you've had. I guess I'm just too eager.....I will continue to live gregariously through the fab pics you all post here.
    Will make sure to keep planting a few every year so I have a continual supply of surprises.
    A couple more sdlgs bloomed.

This is 6.5"

Supposed to be Spacecoast Gatoreye....

My helper (Squeak) is done in again.......

Flora

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I'm going through the same thing such a small percentage of seedlings blooming. I'm giving them one more year and if they don't improve out they go. I really like your first seedling and I love to see photos of hard working garden helpers taking a much deserved rest.
    Linda

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!