Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Focus on Pink

Nancy Barginear
10 years ago

Here come the pink ones, but too many to post here. If you really are into pink daylilies, you'll want to check out the 33 beauties and 12 of our seedlings I have posted at Photobucket.

Just click on the "View All" button below for a photo tour of pinks and more pinks. I have added my impressions of each one in the comments.

Enjoy!

Nancy

Comments (9)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lots of beautiful pinks. I particular like the seedling with three blooms.

I have Bubble Yummin Momma, and it has been a blotchy mess all year. It put up a re-bloom scape, and has now put up another scape, but not one decent bud yet. I moved it to a better sunnier location last fall, but I had just about decided it was history. Your description tempts me to give it more year.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay, last year was BUBBLE YUMMIN' MAMA's first year to bloom, and I was very pleased with its performance. This year, it hasn't done so well.

I can't put any blame on any of our cultivars, as we have a really bad soil situation, made infinitely worse by our city's water restrictions and the weird weather cycles we've been having. Given the odds against ever having a great daylily garden here, I have moments when I want to give up and let Mother Nature take over the beds.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    I have had it several years, and it did great initially. It is a good place now, but first year there. Also we had terrible weather, then a massive influx of snails that I didn't think I would ever get controlled. Also, The thrips were very bad. I will post a couple pics later with a bloom yesterday, and then, finally a almost decent one today. The plant put up a re-bloom scape that is blooming, and has now put up a fresh re-bloom scape. Maybe it will straighten out now.
    kay

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful pinks! Again enjoyed your pictures and comments very much.
    I even have a couple you grow! They are old, Candy and Tear Drops, and they both perform well in the north too

• shive
    10 years ago

You have some delicious pinks. I think your photo of April LaQuinta is the best I've seen. I was glad to see some of the Frank Smith pinks I'd wondered about. Dolly's Lipstick looks a lot like American Doll, especially the edge. Smile again seems to have a great edge. Both look lighter than I expected.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

nancy, you have some gorgeous, pinks,love most of them.I do hope the weather improved for you and your gardens.Thanks for the tour of your pinks.

jean

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Nancy, here is Bubble Yummin' Momma yesterday....horrible splotches...fading...out of here!

Then today, getting toward normal; maybe one more year.

kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I really appreciated this grouping--and the comments!

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, Kay - mine never looked like that! Yours doesn't even resemble mine. I hope it gets better. When it bloomed last year, it was a pretty bubble-gum pink without splotches. I haven't been able to get CORONAL LIGHT to bloom at all this season. I never could get any blooms from JOHN PEAT -- after 4-5 years it died. We've moved on now to bigger and better cultivars anyway, so I won't be replacing it. I was about to trash SPINY SEA URCHIN when it finally bloomed.

Thanks, mantis for your comment.

Debra, thanks for the compliment on April LaQuinta's photo. I'll pass it on to my camera, since all I do is point and click! It is only a sheer accident when one of my photos turns out good! Once in awhile I open a photo and find somehow it turned out better than usual.

SMILE AGAIN was awfully pretty last year, and bloomed its heart out, but this year, it was rather pale in comparison. I still like it, and it was a very willing pod parent. Some of these beauties just wll not set a pod.

I don't know if any of you have ants, but I learned this year that they cause as much blossom damage as thrips. Once we got them exterminated, it made a dramatic improvement in blossom color. I couldn't understand why so much blotchiness as we had sprayed frequently for thrips.

Nancy

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm